Eye Care Expert Forum
Uncorrectable vision loss
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Uncorrectable vision loss

I have an Undifferientated Connective Tissue Disease probably SLE.  Over the years I have developed an uncorrectable loss of vision in my right eye.  I also see a double image, or a 'ghost' image when I read.  I have recently noticed that at times lights have a halo look.  Are these symptoms related to the connective tissue disease?  I have had an MRI of the brain and it was normal.  What other tests should be done?  My Grandmother had Glaucoma, are these symptoms of this condition?  My Opthmalogist said that the vision loss was probably due to Sjogren's Syndrome, but lab tests are negative for this condition.  What do you think?  
Connective tissue disorders can be associated with eye problems as you are probably aware.  Some of the connective tissue disorders are more likely than others to do this.  Your symptoms of seeing halos around light and blurred images or seeing a ghost image MAY be caused by a cataract.  Some people with connective tissue disorders may be on steroids for treatment of the disease and this can precipitate a cataract. There are other types of ophthalmic conditions that can cause one to see halos around lights and because of this I would recommend a thorough ophthalmic exam.  
You also mentioned that you have dry eyes.  Certainly, this condition can affect your vision.  Lupus may be associated with dry eyes without being associated with Sjogren's.
If you are interested in further evaluation at Henry Ford, please call 8006536568.
This information is provided for general medication purposes only.
Sincerely,
HFHS M.D.-JL
*Keywords: Lupus, Sjogren's, Cataract, Blurred vision