EYE CARE
COMMUNITY
Unexplained Improvements in my vision
by porterron, Jul 03, 2010
I am  a 69 year old male who has been severly miopic for most of my life.  My uncorrected vision was about 20/200 in one eye and 20/400 in the other eye.  This was the case from the time that I was about 8 years of age to around Age 65-66.  Rather suddenly, however, my vision improved radically and No one seems to be able to give me an explanation as to why.  I had to radically change my vision prescription.  The last examination by an optometrist measured vision in my right eye at 20/10 and vision in my left eye at 20/80.  This changed two or 3 years ago and the change has, so far, proven to be permanent. I had thought that it might be due to cataracts or something like that since a few years ago an opthamologist had said that I had the beginnings of cataracts on the periphery of the lenses.  However, when I had the exam by the Optometrist a couple of years ago, he said that he saw no evidence of cataracts.  So...what gives?
Is anyone aware of a similar change in Vision in anyone else or does anyone have any idea what might have caused the change in MY eyes.  I would appreciate any information or comments that anyone might be able to provide.   I would welcome any questions or comments
Member Comments (12)
by AntonReiser, Jul 03, 2010
Which prescription glasses were you wearing before and which are you wearing now?
While the eyes of millions are deteororating year after year your vision has improved.
So you are the exception that proves the rule.
Congratulations!

The reasons for this should be investigated.
Go and find a myopia scientist who is interested in finding it out.
In Utah there is the Moran Eye Center at the University of Utah.
http://uuhsc.utah.edu/moraneyecenter/
First of all the optometrist has less than half the training of an ophthalmologist so I would discount what the optom says.

There are several possibilities.
1. Your old glasses were too strong for you (you were over minused which happens in young people)
2. An early cataract is causing unusual changes (usually they make you more myopic).
3. You've had refractive surgery
4. Someting pushing the back of the eye forward or the retina forward will have this effect.
5. Uncontroled diabetes can do this.
6.

JCH MD
by berrywoo, Jul 04, 2010
you say that your UNCORRECTED VISION (meaning you were NOT wearing your normal contacts/glasses) was 20/200 O.D and 20/400 O.S. but you don't state whether or not your new vision is with correction or without. If you were measured wearing contacts or glasses (or getting a refractions through a phoropter) than the visual acuity of 20/10 and 20/80 shouldn't be compared to the 20/200 and 20/400.
by berrywoo, Jul 04, 2010
also, you didn't state your Rx's so it's hard to tell if there indeed was a "radical" shift in myopia.
by kathryn241, Jul 11, 2010
What does it mean when the retina surgeon says that the posterior pole is still attached?
???
by kathryn241, Jul 11, 2010
Too bad you have had all the retina problems, you would make a fabulous eye doc!
by kathryn241, Jul 11, 2010
Would getting in IOL with silicone oil already in the eye PROTECT from aphakia?
by kathryn241, Jul 12, 2010
Would getting in IOL (with silicone oil already in the eye)  PROTECT the cornea in the aphakic eye?  LOL!  I said it wrong before.
by kathryn241, Aug 03, 2010
What do you think of viscoelastics, which reshape the front inner part of the eye.