Eye Care Community
Unexplained Improvements in my vision

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Unexplained Improvements in my vision

I am  a 69 year old male who has been severly miopic for most of my life.  My uncorrected vision was about 20/200 in one eye and 20/400 in the other eye.  This was the case from the time that I was about 8 years of age to around Age 65-66.  Rather suddenly, however, my vision improved radically and No one seems to be able to give me an explanation as to why.  I had to radically change my vision prescription.  The last examination by an optometrist measured vision in my right eye at 20/10 and vision in my left eye at 20/80.  This changed two or 3 years ago and the change has, so far, proven to be permanent. I had thought that it might be due to cataracts or something like that since a few years ago an opthamologist had said that I had the beginnings of cataracts on the periphery of the lenses.  However, when I had the exam by the Optometrist a couple of years ago, he said that he saw no evidence of cataracts.  So...what gives?
Is anyone aware of a similar change in Vision in anyone else or does anyone have any idea what might have caused the change in MY eyes.  I would appreciate any information or comments that anyone might be able to provide.   I would welcome any questions or comments
Which prescription glasses were you wearing before and which are you wearing now?
While the eyes of millions are deteororating year after year your vision has improved.
So you are the exception that proves the rule.
Congratulations!

The reasons for this should be investigated.
Go and find a myopia scientist who is interested in finding it out.
In Utah there is the Moran Eye Center at the University of Utah.
http://uuhsc.utah.edu/moraneyecenter/
First of all the optometrist has less than half the training of an ophthalmologist so I would discount what the optom says.

There are several possibilities.
1. Your old glasses were too strong for you (you were over minused which happens in young people)
2. An early cataract is causing unusual changes (usually they make you more myopic).
3. You've had refractive surgery
4. Someting pushing the back of the eye forward or the retina forward will have this effect.
5. Uncontroled diabetes can do this.
6.

JCH MD
you say that your UNCORRECTED VISION (meaning you were NOT wearing your normal contacts/glasses) was 20/200 O.D and 20/400 O.S. but you don't state whether or not your new vision is with correction or without. If you were measured wearing contacts or glasses (or getting a refractions through a phoropter) than the visual acuity of 20/10 and 20/80 shouldn't be compared to the 20/200 and 20/400.
also, you didn't state your Rx's so it's hard to tell if there indeed was a "radical" shift in myopia.
What does it mean when the retina surgeon says that the posterior pole is still attached?
???
Too bad you have had all the retina problems, you would make a fabulous eye doc!
Would getting in IOL with silicone oil already in the eye PROTECT from aphakia?
Would getting in IOL (with silicone oil already in the eye)  PROTECT the cornea in the aphakic eye?  LOL!  I said it wrong before.
What do you think of viscoelastics, which reshape the front inner part of the eye.
I am a 21 year old female whose recent prescription was -6.50 in right eye and - 6.00 in left eye. I have been wearing contacts since I was 9 years old and could see perfectly with my last prescription. About 2 weeks ago i noticed my vision was becoming blurry with my contacts in and believed my eyesight was becoming worse, which every year or so my eyesight does get worse, but when i went to the eye doc to check my eyesight my vision dramatically improved to -5.15 in right eye and -5.0 in left eye. there is no explanation for this. I am not diabetic although i do have Lupus, hyperthyroidism and vonwillebrands disease. Does anybody know how this could have happened?? I also found a lump in my neck that is now being tested....could a brain tumor or other cancer be the cause of this??? I am having a CT scan of my brain orbits and neck next wednesday....If you are a doc PLEASE give me some answers i am scared to death
Hi Paris 14,

I'm in a very similar situation! I'm also a 21 yr old female. My left eye has felt out of focus and blurry for about a week, so I thought my eyesight was getting worse in one eye. I went to the eye doctor the other day and she told told me that after years of having the same prescription my eyesight had actually improved quite a bit. Vision randomly went from 6.5 and 6.0 to 5.5 and 5.0.. She changed my prescription, which did make my eyes feel a bit better, but my left eye still feels very off. Hopefully it's nothing serious for either of us! Please let me know when you find out what the problem is or if your situation changes. I have another eye appointment on Wednesday and am going to have her actually look at my eyes and see if she sees anything.

I began wearing glasses when I was 6 or seven. The usual amazement that I could see the leaves on the trees! At one point my vision was 20/400. Wore the glasses all my life up until a few years go, but on a chain for the past 30 or 40 years unless I was driving.

A little over 20 years ago, my nearsightedness improved to about 20/250. I had had a fall where I jarred my head pretty good (no concussion), and thought maybe that had done it.

About 6 or 7 years ago, I went to a free testing for Lasik surgery. The tester said, "You don't need glasses." I had him test me again. Same response. Went to my ophthalmologist. He asked me, jokingly, what kind of water I was drinking. I had been to him the year before, so this change also was pretty sudden.

This year I have had cataract surgery in both eyes, the last one a week ago. The day after the surgery, I tested at 20/20 in both eyes. I can read the bottom line of the eye chart AND the printed card. I might add that I'm 72 when I would be expected to have problems with close vision.

The only explanation I can offer is that I have taken supplemental beta carotene along with other vitamins and supplements for 30 years (because I had been diagnosed with SLE, probably mistakenly).

Any ideas?