Eye Care Community
Unilateral eyelid swelling

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Unilateral eyelid swelling

September 2009, after washing my face and eye feeling irritated, I woke up to a swollen eye. I left it thinking it will settle down by itself. Shortly after I seemed to develop Palsy. The Palsy was intermittent. I had a CAT scan. I was put on Cortisone tablets. This did not help. Then I had to endure a long course of cortisone injections. The Palsy stopped. The upper eyelid became drooped. I was told this was due to nerve damage from the Palsy. However, my eyelid continues to be swollen. I've been to 3 opthamologists, each with their diagnosis and no solution. One said it was dry eye...it's now 2011 and being faithful to eyedrop's to moisturise my eye really makes no difference. The other put me on antibiotics for 2 months...still no result. I'm on allergy tablets...no result. I was referred to an ENT who drained my sinuses etc...no result. My self esteem is low because of this. Cortisol eye drops made no difference either. I don't wear make-up and use hypoallergenic face cleaners etc. I don't have roseacea but I do have a pimple that is stubborn to heal on my cheek on the side of my eye problem. I feel deformed. Everyone always asks "What's wrong with your eye?" Please help? I've lost confidence in all the Doctor's I've been too. Thank you
After a facial palsy like that the face and eyelids often do not return to normal appearance. A droopy eyelid with some swelling is not rare.

You should see the best oculoplastic surgeon you can reasonably get to for a 4th opinion.

When people ask about your eye you don't have to answer or you can tell them you had a facial palsy and that's what's left.

JCH MD
Thank you. No one explained that to me. I've never heard about an ocuplastic surgeon, I'll make an enquiry. Thank you again
Best of luck. An oculoplastic surgeon is an ophthalmologist Eye MD with a extra fellowship study in surgery of the eyelids, eye socket and tear ducts.

JCH MD