Eye Care Expert Forum
Unilateral proptosis and dull ache

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Unilateral proptosis and dull ache

Hello Guys,

About 6 weeks ago I started feeling discomfort in my left eye. I went to the same optician's I have used over the last few years who told me that for some time I have had a slight astigmatism in my left eye and that perhaps now was the time to try wearing glasses. I had a routine eye test done and had retinal photography done on both eyes which didnt show anything out of the ordinary. I asked the optician if the eye discomfort, which I can only describe as a dull ache, was a symptom of this and he stated that he was willing to bet it was. I got my new glasses but wearing them did not resolve the issue of my aching left eye.

The ache has continued for a few weeks so this week when I went to hospital to see if my problem could be properly diagnosed. I was referred to the on duty opthamologist who carried out a slit-lamp examination with my pupils dilated and diagnosed unilateral proptosis in my left eye. He also stated I needed a CT scan to see what is pushing on my eye causing it to bulge. He then said "Of course you will be worried but we will have to wait to see what the CT scan shows us." He didn't really elaborate on that before his next patient was brought in.

I am now worrying what could be causing my eye to bulge and ache and if it is treatable. I have looked up my symptoms and a lot of sites state that one eye bulging rather than one often points to cancer. Would the retinal photography of my left eye have shown something up within it if there was a growth and would the opthamologist have detected something in the eye when he performed his tests?

I have off my own back visited my doctor and asked for a blood test to see if anything is showing up in my blood but I really have no idea what the possible causes could be. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Here in the U.S. the CT scan would have been done that same day or the next (until socialized medicine kicks in.)  Possibilities include thryoid eye disease, orbital inflammatory disease, orbital tumor, orbital vascular tumor, orbital infection, sinus infection and more.  I would consider this an urgent case and myself would request a CT scan within a day or so.

A related discussion, Dull ache behind eye part of long list was started.