Aa
A
A
Close
Unnecessary retina laser treatment?
The retinal surgeon who examined me recommended laser retinopexy for a tiny flap tear on the periphery.  When I went back for the laser a different guy was there to do the laser (I found out later he was a retinal "fellow" or student).  He told me that he and the surgeon "divide up the patients." He lasered the flap tear but then said he noticed a thin spot and recommended lasering that too.  I said OK and he did it.  (At the time I figured maybe the first guy just missed the thin spot; I didn't realized the second guy was just a student).  So if the surgeon never mentioned the thin spot maybe the laser for that was unnecessary, and the "fellow" was just inexperienced.  Should I be worried or not a big deal.  This happened a few years ago and so far everything seems OK.  

Cancel
2 Answers
Page 1 of 1
177275 tn?1511758844
Move on and enjoy life. That sometimes happens when even an experienced surgeon performs the laser surgery.  Often at time of laser surgery enhanced techniques are used to visualize other small holes/tears.  
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Thanks!  I hadn't thought of that.
Comment
Cancel
177275 tn?1511758844
=
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Thin spot sounds like lattice degeneration, the presence of lattice puts people at slightly higher risk of RD. Sounds like different practice patterns to me, possible it was missed but not likely.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
177275 tn?1511758844
=
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Looking for a Doctor?
Shop for health care like an expert. Find the best doctors based on reviews from patients like you.
Eye Care Community Resources
Top General Health Answerers
177275 tn?1511758844
Blank
Kansas City, MO
Blank
Grand Prairie, TX
Blank
San Diego, CA