Eye Care Expert Forum
Untreated blowout fracture

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Untreated blowout fracture

I had a punch on the side of the face about 2 months ago. When I was to the hospital they took xrays and said to just wait the swelling would go down. Afterwards I noticed one eye has sunken in. I have been to the hospital again and its about 2mm moved. Now I have doublesight when tired and if I drink a few beers. Also some pain and strained eyes. The hospital are going to send me time for ctscan in a few weeks. What I'm wondering about is there anything to do about it now? I have read about implants under the eye or opening and correcting the fracture or even alter eye position by muscle surgery. I'm getting really depressed of this situation.

If nothing else is possible is there a chance to align the eyes with surgery and get rid of strabismus even if the eyes are missplaced? The eye gets further down than the other and it also seems to move a bit to the side from top to bottom. If I look up all the way the picture get crossed. Also noticed I only see one side of my nose with both eyes, is the brain filtering the input from the eye?
You need to see an ophthalmologist who is a specialist in oculoplastics and orbit surgery.  The sunken-in appearance (enophthalmos) needs to be repaired with surgery.
I have read about enophthalmos surgery, is that a standard procedure at hospitals around the world?