Eye Care Community
Upper Eyelid itchy flakey & sometimes cracks in crease

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Upper Eyelid is partially itchy, flakey & sometimes cracks in crease then heals & re-occurs every 10 days for the last 12 months (NOT NEAR EYELASHES)

I have had a eyelid condition that started with my upper eyelid 12 months ago (November 2008 - it is now December 2009).

I stopped wearing any contacts (wore them seldom in first place) stopped all eye-makeup, use hypoallergenic face wash with clear warm water, plus use hot compresses on eye lids daily. THIS ISSUE IS NOT NEAR MY EYELASHES IT IS THE UPPER EYELID PROPER. It is most itchy in the crease of my upper eyelid and more recently has edged slightly toward the nose area of upper eyelid - it is all a bit itchy when I am going through a bout.

The skin on upper eyelid now looks like fine creased cigarette paper - very different than the outer edges on my upper eyelids - a visual difference of about 20 years - a very strange affect. Then once every 10 days or so the itchy line (crease in upper eyelid) cracks in a very fine line and is very sensitive to sweat (the salt content in sweat I presume). The fine crack then heals via flaky fine line - and then approx. 1/4 of entire upper eyelid flakes and sheds a fine layer of skin.

Sometimes it feels as if  something is irritating my left eyelid from the inside - out. Like a minute grain of sand was somehow imbedded on the inside of my upper eyelid? When in bed during the flare up times if I rolled my eyeball about with closed eyes (only left eye) felt like something was rough in the inside of the upper left eyelid. Very odd sensation - did not hurt, but just felt something was irritating my eyelid from inside to outside.

My eyesight in left eye has marginally changed over the last year and the left eyelid has twitched on many occasions. This condition then migrated over the past 6 months to right eyelid but not as noticeable nor does the crease in right eyelid crack. These symptoms come and go but never one full week without some sort of itch, crease split, flaky stuff then healing only to re-occur in 10 days.

I have been to the top Opthamalogist in Western Canada 3 times - she asked if I had ever had "eyelid surgery", as the fine line in the crease was slightly visible (as had healed about 5 times by then) I SAID NO! She prescribed a mild hydrocortisone cream (over counter 0.5%) temporarily helped - but was not to use for over 7 days as is bad for you as permanently damages & thins skin (nice).

Next appointment she then suggested polysporin Ophthalmic cream (prescription - use for 7 days) and I was also then informed by the specialist "you are getting older and menopause is likely the culprit due to hormones".

Hmmmm, I am not going through menopause as of yet and that seemed like an easy over arching solution for the Opthamalogist. I have many female friends and they never had this flaky, itchy, cracked, chapped eyelid issue when they all went through menopause?

Went back to my GP and she just said "oh well, carry on" :-)

I am not pleased.

Therefore I opted to read info regarding my "EYELID" symptoms on the internet and take the situation into my own hands. After what i have read this is my now my new "EYELID TREATMENT" experiment:

-Dr. Hauschka Eye Contour Balm (apply morning & night) It has "neem oil" in it, amongst other soothing natural ingredients.
-Oregano Oil capsules (orally) 1 a day
-Omega-3 capsules (orally) 1 a day
-Apple cider vinegar (orally) 1 tbls a day
-Vitamin D (orally) 1 a day
-Hypo-Allergenic no name Baby shampoo diluted with water 1:10 and wash eyelids 2x's per day with hot clean face cloth.

Just wondering if anyone has any other useful suggestions. Possibly something I or my previous Ophthalmic Doctor specialist's may have missed.

Gillian
It is very hard to understand your problem without an exam.  I do not recommend baby shampoo.  It is much better to get an eye scrub, such as Ocusoft.

Dr. O.
I have had red, swollen, itchy eyes - 1st really bad case about a week or so ago and it has cleared up for the most part using antishistamines and Onguent 270/Zalf 270 by Unda (homeopathic balm from health food store dispensary) but still a little reddish, etc.  Today I was at Shoppers Drug Mart (I am in Toronto) and hadn't realized until today that they carry Dr. Hauschka which you mentioned.  I got the Eye Contour Day Balm, but there is no mention of Neem Oil in it (does it have another name?). Also you said you use it day and night; apparently the company philosophy is that you don't put anything on your eyes before bedtime.  Should you need something to soothe and refresh your eyes in the evening, they recommend using their Eye Solace.  In terms of the rest of the things you're doing; I also do them every day and have been for awhile (except for the baby shampoo thing). I'm off for some allergy testing this week - have found a company Red Paw Data Services who do metals testing and I understand that they will test to see if I'm allergic to something in my eyeglasses (nickel in frame, etc.) I feel that my recently-acquired eyeglasses (have mostly worn contacts for many, many years) may be the culprit.  Hope this helps and would like to hear about the ingredients in your Eye Contour Balm.
I just checked Dr. Hauschka's website and their "Ingredient Spotlight" is Melia Azadirachta (Neem) Leaf Extract, so guess I have my answer; now just have to see how it works for me; Neem Oil seems to be successful for most everyone on the "eyelid redness not blepharitis" forum.
This sounds alot like what I've experienced. About 7 years ago, I had a patch of dry, red skin appear on my left lid.  It was more in the crease of the lid, not near the lashes.  Within a day or two, it was itchy and the skin was peeling.  It came and went for almost a year.  I thought it was hormonal because it seemed to come right before my period.  Then, one day, it went away.  I didn't have problems again for 6 to 7 years.  Now its back and worse than EVER!!  AND it seems to be occurring underneath my eye too.  It makes me look 10 years older!!! I've wondered if its psoriosis (psoriasis)??
I live in Toronto, Ontario and I have the EXACT same problem in every way....including the menopause!  I tried every different approach:  herbalist, medical doctor, naturopath, blood tests and ultrasounds......nothing helped.  FINALLY found someone who figured it out!  A TCM (traditional Chinese medicine) doctor diagnosed me as having an acute inflammatory condition which I had all my life which is made worse with menopause.  My elimination system is too week to purge my body of toxins.  I've just started acupuncture treatment with her and am looking forward to some help.  

In the meantime, I found another practitioner who screens for food sensitivities which can add to the fire, and will set up an individual supplement protocol designed just for what your body (organs, glands, bones, blood, etc) needs to support the elimination system in order to release the toxins that are recirculating, looking for a way out.  The skin is the last resort.  It's like Red Paw but more up-dated and sophisticated.  Also, Red Paw doesn't set up a protocol for you....they just screen.  The approach is Applied Kenesiology or muscle testing with a computer called, Zyto Compass System.

My face is calming down since I am now avoiding inflammatory foods and taking the supplements.  Acupuncture is also important as it opens up channels for elimination.  The goal is to balance the body and strengthen the organs so I can introduce those foods into my diet again.....marginally.

Best of luck to all of you!!!

I have had the same problem continuously for years in my left upper eyelid and occasionally under my right eye.  The only thing I have found that helps is to use an over the counter "first aid triple antibiotic ointment - bacitracin zinc, neomycin sulfate and polymixin b sulfate" that I buy at Walgreens Drug Store - their store brand.  It doesn't keep it from recurring quickly.  It just seems to make it heal faster.  http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-triple-antibiotic-ointment/ID=prod5383838-product
I have the same condition.  Right eyelid, in the crease, will get flaky and crack.  This just started last year.  However, I am reticent to put anything on my eyelid because the skin is so thin and I'm concerned it may get absorbed into my eye.  Maybe I'm wrong about this, but I don't want to take any chances.  What I do is use a very, very small amount of petroleum jelly on that eyelid crack.  That helps.  It goes away and then weeks later comes back.  If I ever see a dermatologist, I'll ask about this.
hey try using blistex simple sensitive on your eyes.  it worked for me today and i have all the same symptoms as above for the past month.  tried the lip glass and found relief so far today.  hope this cures it... we'll see.  
I've been fighting with this condition for a few years now and the only thing that used to help me was corticosteroids cream, but as soon as i would stop using it, all of the symptoms would come back. So i decided to try with some natural cures/remedies. This is the list of things that i found helpful:

-honey  (just plain honey i had in my kitchen; manuka honey would probably be even better) - reduces redness, itchiness and swelling of eyelids
-neem oil
-black seed oil
-comfrey (Symphytum officinale) ointment (great for dryness of the eyelids!)
-black seed + evening primrose+ calendula ointment (great for dryness of the eyelids!)

important - DO NOT use any of this herbal remedies  if you're prone to allergies!! and try not to get the oils in your eyes, it stings!

One more important thing - i never got the exact diagnosis, my doctor says it's a make up allergy, but it is not, quitting wearing make up didn't help at all! So, i'm not sure if it's blepharitis, dermatitis or something else (yeah, i know i'm a bit irresponsible, but  impression i got  from all the posts from people that fight this condition is that doctors don't really know how to help).

p.s. sorry for my bad english :)
I had this problem and used Weleda Skin Food on my eyelid and it is completely healed and the crepey skin effect is gone too. Just wanted anyone who has suffered to have another option if nothing else works. I tried baby shampoo, dandruff shampoo, petroleum Jelly, antifungals, non steriod vanishing creams and the Weleda was the only thing that worked. I put a dab on every nite. Good luck!
Hi everybody,

I'm going through the same thing.  I'm turning 49 next March; been through the "pause" (or at least I haven't had a period in the last two or so years), and occasionally I've had this condition.  The only things I can think that might have changed are:

1)  the air freshener I put in my car and around my home (these are all new things);

2)  the Aveda hair product I just started using,

3)  a friend told me she experienced the same thing and her doc said it is something to do with the eyebrows (hence using baby shampoo for that area alone)

But I'm almost positive it is the GRAPEFRUIT I was eating that interacted with something in my diet.  This same thing happened the last time I ate it, about six months ago and I was eating grapefruit at that time.  (I eat it sporadically, as I'm not a huge fan of grapefruit but every once in a while I'll get a taste for it.)  And now that I'm not eating it any more (last grapefruit I ate was a couple days ago), it's has started to clear up markedly.  Not all gone but healing nicely.  I'm using Vaseline on my lids.

Are any of you eating grapefruit?
Hello!  ~No, I don't eat grapefruit, but that is an interesting correlation you make.  I still use the vaseline and this keeps the condition in check.