Using Lasers To Break Up Large Floaters: New Study
There are questions often in the Eye Forum about using lasers to break up large floaters. this was discussed in two papers published in the September 2017 JAMA Ophthalmology Volume 135 #9 page 918  in a small series of 52 patients 54% reported improvement in the floaters post-laser while 9% of patients treated with sham (fake) treatment reported improvement.  In a second study of complications of this treatment page 973 complications reported with laser treatment of floaters included: glaucoma, cataracts, retinal tear, retinal detachment, retinal bleeding, blind spots, damage to the lens requiring surgery and INCREASE of floaters. It is something that I have NOT recommended to my patients with bothersome floaters as of the date of this posting. John C. Hagan III, MD, FACS  FAAO
Excellent information and recommendation as usual, Dr. Hagan.
Thanks. I have a large Weiss Ring in my RE.  Never even considered laser or vitrectomy.  Thought I would never get use to it but now rarely notice it.