Eye Care Expert Forum
Vaccinations and eye problems?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Vaccinations and eye problems?
Hi doctor
In relation to my possible macula problem - my doctor asked me whether I could recall an illness of any sort prior to the onset of my symptoms and I couldn't. But after I left I remembered that I was going to south-east asia and had a bunch of shots, including hep a, yellow fever and thyhoid.

My first "spot" appeared a few weeks after that and I have experienced new ones several times a year in the subsequent years. Have you heard of any eye conditions - i think the doctor mentioned white dots or spots, though she could see no evidence of them - being triggered by vaccinations?

Thank you
There are several retinal white dot disorders that are characterized by unknown inflammation of unknow cause in the choroid and retina. I do not believe that any are linked to vaccinations.

JCH III MD     Eye MD
And are these white dot disorders something that would need an FA to see?
No they are generally visible with the direct and/or indirect ophthalmoscopes.

JCH III MD