Eye Care Community
Varicose vein in eye - treatment?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Varicose vein in eye - treatment?

6725914?1299853414
I have seen two eye docs for this for the problem that I've had for several years now. The first said it was untreatable but the second one (whom he sent me to for a second opinion) said it was treatable wherein the broken vein much like a varicose vein, could be cauterized.

It's very uncomfortable and constantly feels as though an eyelash is stuck in my eye. I'm really tired of putting drops in my eye just to get through the day.

Is there any treatment for this?
That looks different than a broken blood vessel and veins so big rarely suddenly pop up on the eye. Sometimes a big blood vessel like that can develop because of serious internal problems in the eye. I would strongly suggest you see a retinal ophthalmologist for a dilated exam and may ultrasound or OCT over the vein to see if something is going on under it.  If not then you can discuss treatment options but cautery is not a common solution.

JCH MD
Thank you for your response doctor.  

My eye was actually dialated and x-rayed (but no ultrasound) though neither doctor found abnormalities by those exams. This was a relief but even more of a mystery on how this happened.  One day very suddenly my eye felt as though something large was stuck in it.

I just want relief from the constant irritation, so I will contact a retinal ophthalmologist specifically as you suggested.

Sometimes it seems like the most uncommon circumstances seek me out!

Thank you again.
we all feel "sought out" by misfortune and bad luck. Such is the nature of our existence. Good luck.
JCH MD
Hello, I fell the same thing you did (or do) in your eye. Like a eyelash always hurting my eye. How was your investigation about it? Did you reach any diagnosis?
=
I also made OCT and other exams, and there aren't terrible dieses in my eyes. This vessel pain seems to be a big mistery...
See an Eye MD that specializes in cornea and external disease. Discuss a trial of a steroid eye drop like Lotemax gel.

JCH MD
Ok, I'll follow your advice. Thank you, Doc!
Good luck. JCH MD