Eye Care Expert Forum
Very large blood vessels

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Very large blood vessels

I have always had large blood vessels in both eyes. It is very embarrassing and I often don't like to look at people in the eye so I try to look away and not directly at them. I do not have high blood pressure so I know that is not the problem.  My mom also had the same thing so I guess it's hereditary. Besides the vessels my eyes have never been nice and white they are always sort of blood shot.  I'm 53 and this has been going on since I was a teen so not life threating..... I use otc eye drops extra strength for whitening once a day in the morning before putting on my makeup.    Is there anything that can be done to reduce the size of the vessels and better medication to use on a daily basis?  My one wish to improve my appearence would be to have white eyes!
Dear MAC0816,

I would recommend that you see an eyeMD.  Blood vessels in the eye may be constricted with whitener eyedrops but then, as it wears off the redness may be worse.  It is important to get your eyes checked to determine the cause of the redness.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California