Eye Care Expert Forum
Very tired and dry eyes recently

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Very tired and dry eyes recently

Hi. Over the past 3 months, my eyes get very tired and dry when I look at the computer monitor, go shopping, or when I drive. They also turn very red.

Sometimes I use Visine to cover up the redness when I'm at work. But the worst thing is as soon as I use my eyes again they turn red again, within 1/2 hour.

This is devastating, what can I do?

I got an eye check up only a couple of months ago and the doctor didn't find any problems with them.

And I don't need to stare at the computer all day for my eyes to feel tired. Even working for 1/2 hour or going shopping makes my eyes tired and red.

What is causing the problem?

Dear hollandlop,

I would recommend that you discontinue the Visine eye drops as they may be alleviating the problem for a short time but do not treat the cause.  I would recommend that you seek the care of an eyeMD again to determine the cause and institute treatment. Some conditions such as dry eyes can cause the symptoms you describe.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California