Eye Care Community
Vision & Anxiety Issues

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Vision & Anxiety Issues

Hello all. I am a 20 yr old college female who works full time with computers. I've had this position for about 3 months, and since I've been working with computers, my vision has changed drastically. Let me give a brief run down of those changes. Before obtaining this position, I had nearly perfect vision, although I have been an eyeglass wearer prior to getting the job. The glasses were perfect for everyday seeing, driving at night, etc. So I was experiencing NO PROBLEMS. However, almost two months into working long extensive hours (10-12/day in a given week) on a computer, I found myself experiencing chronic headaches, and eye pain. After two weeks of trying to deal with the headache pain (that did not occur upon waking up from sleep in the morning), I decided to go t the ER. The doctor briefly shined a light in both eyes to check them (vaguely) and commented that my eyes looked identical and she couldn't tell any problems with my retinas, but suggested I have an eye exam to get it check fully. I was prescribed some medication for migraines as she felt that's the only thing that was relative to the symptoms. During that tenure, I woke up one morning and noticed I had about 2 floaters in each eye. They didn't bother me much and I figured they'd go away like normal when I notice 1 or 2 floating by every so often. Turns out they did not go away but stayed at that number. 2 weeks later I went for an eye exam at Walmart (due to no insurance) and the first doctor did the visual acuity test, but no dilation. All of my pre-tests (pressure, peripheral vision testing, etc) were done and they noted that I had higher than normal pressure, but my peripheral field test returned excellent results that leads one to believe I don't have problems. The visual acuity test revealed I needed new glasses, and the optometrist insisted that the pressure was from sinuses and I should get in to see my GP for some meds before it turned into an infection. I requested another visit to get my dilation because the floaters began to bother. The results from the thorough dilation indicated that my retinas and blood vessels were completely healthy and they couldn't find a problem, so the floaters were just a commonality I'd have to learn to readapt to. Well 1 week later I did that and surely I had a sinus infection. Eventually I got my prescription glasses back and they seemed fine. However, fast forward to today, I had to return my glasses back to the optometrist for new ones this past weekend, as my vision did not improve as much as they should've. I began to see small halos around street lights, and glares from light, and my eyes strained to see things they shouldn't have to strain to see. By this time, my floaters have increased to about 5-7 in my left eye and anywhere from 2-4 in my right. Now my anxiety has really kicked in and I think something is really wrong, although my doctor has assured me upon two visits that everything is fine. Now, for the past week or two, I have picked up on what seems to be a "line like floater" in my left eye. I only see it when I'm driving or working at my computer. It does move when my eye moves, but it has added to the anxiety I feel as I'm no longer able to focus in a work environment. I think something is horribly wrong. Also since I've been working god awful hours at a computer and taking online courses, My eyes now ache and feel very dry and irritated after a long day's work. It has gotten to the point where even after I wake up, my eyes are dry unless I use eye drops. I feel like working under these strenuous conditions with computers have led to my development of floaters (esp the line like one) and the increased pain, pressure, dryness and irritation I feel. I apologize for the long description, but is this any cause for concern for someone my age. I have been contemplating seeing another optometrist and possibly an ophthalmologist (they are expensive and hard to afford) for a second opinion. As I type now, I see little floaters moving which aren't bothering me as much as the "line like floater" that seems to appear and disappear every other minute. I can't help but to over-exaggerate everything, and I really think that my eyes are severely strained and dry and I need some time away from the computers. I've contemplated leaving my job, but not sure if I should. I feel like my anxiety is getting the best of me, but I shouldn't let it. I'm a psychology major and it seems stupid that I can't control my own "anxiety and stress" as I think they have made my situation worse. And one last thing, when I look closely at my eyes in the mirror, it looks like there is fluid moving in my iris every time I blink. My eyes are dark brown/black and I have to pay close attention to notice. It doesn't have a specific abnormal color to it, it just seems noticeable every time I blink. Someone please help with useful advice! Thanks!
This is not a brief run down.  Please see an ophthalmologist.

Dr. O.
I've made an appointment today to seek a second opinion regarding this. Thanks.