Eye Care Community
Vision after Pineal tumor removed

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Vision after Pineal tumor removed

I had Pineal Tumor (Pineocytoma) removed 5 years ago.   My symptoms  were, mood/anger, racing heart, dizzy, and then the final indicator was I lost my vision during and exercise class.  Finally the hospital did an  MRI, the found severe hydrocephalus and the Pineal tumor, it was about the size of a walnut.  I had the surgery, when I was out of surgery,  My eyes felt like they were on fire/or bleeding (but they weren't)  and I could not see.   My vision gradually came back, I have a visual field loss in the upper left of my left eye and upper left of my right eye.  Since then I have felt that a lot of things were still off, especially my vision, I can not tolerate bright sunlight or glare, things like a parking lot full of cars, and grocery isle (especially cereal isle) it makes me feel like I am going to puke, and ceiling fans are awful.  Other problems are,   I can fall asleep, but it takes hours, and then I wake up about 2-3 hours later.  I also feel  that my endocrine/hormone system has been damaged.     Last week I saw a Neuro-Ophthalmologist,   He found  that I have exophoria, and a moderate convergence, and prescribed glasses with prisms, I also have two different size pupils, and the pupils do not react to light and dark, they stay the same all the time, but they did not say the medical terminology for that,  or exactly what area of my brain is damaged to cause this.   I just want to feel better.
The loss of your visual field defect is easily and accurately localized to the right post chiasm (the area above the pituitary gland) optic tract. If you want a picture use the Google images search engine and type in "right post chiasm optic tract"  Your other symptoms cannot be localized with such accuracy and are like brain stem in location.

Ask your neuroophthalmologist, he/she has seen you, examined your eyes and has all your tests/MRIs etc.

JCH MD