Eye Care Community
Vision after Retinal Surgery(Scleral Buckle)?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

It has been 6 days since I had a Scleral Buckle inserted.
I have very blurry vision in my operative eye, how long does it take for more of my vision to return? If at all?
My eye is quite itchy and sensitive to light other than that it's my vision that is really bothering me!!
I know it is early, I am getting quite down about the whole thing. I feel lonely and useless!
I don't see my surgeon till Feb 13.
Any comments, suggestion or other experiences would be greatly appreciated.
My sincere thank yous in advance.

Eyezz
Hang in there!! Scleral buckling is the worst IMO of all the techniques that are used to fix RDs.
Vision return depends on so many factors. If the macula was intact before surgery than vision should gradually return. Keep in mind you will be more nearsighted due to the buckling. You just have to be patient, which is really difficult to do, I know as I've been through numerous procedures myself.
If the appointment on the 13th is your second post-op visit you should be fine, just remember to talk to your doctor about what to expect as your eye heals.
Good luck and keep us updated on your experience!
Results are variable.  As I recall, this is your second procedure.  Did the surgeon discuss your prognosis and what type of vision is to be expected if the surgery is successful?

I suggest you call your physician.

Dr. O.
No, sir, this is my first procedure. Probably why I'm such a mess about it!
My Dr. hasn't told me if the Macula was affected? I had no sight before the surgery?!
I guess I need to ask the right questions?! The only thing he said was that he was "Pleased" with the surgery so far and that I would be more nearsighted than before?!
I'm okay with that, just want to see something other than blur!!
Also, what is "IMO" mentioned by berrywoo?
Thank you in advance.

Eyezz
You mentioned in your previous post that you were able to see after the bubble was put in.

by Eyezz

, Jan 28, 2009 11:50PM
To: Ray T Oyakawa, MD
He didn't really say anything! Probably why I am so confused?!
After the bubble was put in, I could see my hand close up and distant lights.
I'm not feeling very hopeful for my vision recovery?!
In fact, I just found out today from the receptionist that I will be awake for the surgery?! How horrifying!!!  I guess I don't have any other options?!
Thank you very much for the information.
I will let you know how things turn out.

Sincerely,

Eyezz

You really need to talk to your surgeon.

Dr. O.

Oops! I see what you meant when you said "second procedure!"
Sorry, I'm going on one eye here!
My vision is slightly better after the Scleral Buckle, very blurry though.
This is so frustrating..I guess it could be worse?!?!
Thank you for taking the time to answer my posts, I appreciate it.
I'll keep you posted.

Eyezz
IMO = in my opinion

You really need to talk with your doctor and get some information!!! Here are some questions that you really should consider having answered::

1. Was my macula still attached prior to the buckling?
2. What is my visual prognosis going to be, and how soon will this be achieved?
3. What caused the re-detachment (traction, rhegmatogenous, exudative)?
4. Was the detachment in the same area as the initial tear that necessitated the pneumatic retinopexy?
5. Is it likely that the retina will continue to detach?

Also, you need to do some research both before and after you ask the questions to understand your situation better and be more informed about retinal detachments. If you do a search of this site, I've posted extensively in the past about RD's, and google you should find plenty of info. Again, good luck
Thank you Berrywoo.
I will ask those questions and continue to do research!
I appreciate your opinion. ;)

Eyezz
PS-How is your vision?
Left eye: light perception, hand motion, and if I'm lucky I can sometimes count fingers, but it is not reliable
Right eye: aphakic (no natural crystalline lens or intraocular lens), 20/200 distance and near, loss of a lot of peripheral vision, and has silicone oil.
The silicone oil is scheduled to be removed Feb. 10th!!! So I'm happy and a bit nervous.....I know what to expect because I've been through it before with my left eye, but I'm still worried. This will be my first surgery for 2009,and hopefully it will be my last (not including the upcoming surgery, I've had 10 eye surgeries for RD's since 2007)! So, I've been through it all and I know what you're going through. Feel free to message me if you want. Take care.
WOW!
I guess I better buck up!
You are a brave lady and very inspiring, wonderful, thank you,
I can see fingers moving and objects..hope that is a good sign?!
How old are you? I'm 46, live in British Columbia, Canada. You?
Appreciate the info..

Cheers...Eyezz
wow i just read that you have had 10 eye surgeries!! i admire your courage. i just completed my 3rd and have tried to research as much as possible and i just dont feel the purpose of another for retinal detachment. i am post op 2 weeks and have been having the small flashes which signal traction so i know that when i so back it will be the same old thing. i have excessive amount of scar tissue and this is what is pulling on the retina. i have the buckle, oil bubble. my vision is terrible, i see black bling spots. i am a RN and this has been devastating. you are very inspiring and knowledgeable. thanks
Hey Eyezz,

I just had my first scleral buckle installed on Feb 5th. Don't sweat the blurred vision, I found out that its due to the stuff that is injected into your eye, it acts like a second lenz thus changing your focal point. Try this, bring an object really close yo your eye, say 2 to 4 cm and look at it. In my case, I can see the individual pixels on my cell phone, its like having a magnifying lenz of 2 to 4 times power, everything looks bigger because of the bubble in your eye. Thas also the reason why it hurts to open your eye, too much light being amplified into your eye, I am currently on my belly 24/7 as my eye is still healing, If you feel like talking to someone who is going through the same thing you are going through, just get someone to get  you a long distance card and call me. I am in Toronto . The name is

Carlos at 416 817 7137

Was your Macula in tact before the surgery?
Mine was affected but the first procedure(Gas Bubble) seemed to push it back.
The Scheral Buckle is a more permanent procedure according to the Dr.
What stuff was injected in your eye? Do you mean the freezing?
I only had the Buckle not a Virtrectomy, You?
Thankful I only had to lay on my left side.
I am wondering how I'm supposed to function without having aan updated Glasses prescription?! One more questu=ion..is this your first procedure?
Thanx for you comments..looking forward to hearing back from you..

Eyezz

Eyezz