Eye Care Expert Forum
Vision changes
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Vision changes

My vision is usually good - no glasses needed. But recently, at age 42, my distance vision in my right eye is deteriorating quite rapidly. My previous eye test was four months ago and I have changed another "quarter" (I don't know if this makes sense) in that four months. I would expect to have glasses for reading etc around this age, but I did not expect this change to my distance vision. Can you tell me if it is normal to have such a change at this age? Would it be normal to continue changing at this rate? What causes it?
I have recently been diagnosed with dry eye - would this be influencing anything sight-wise?
Related Discussions
233488_tn?1310696703
Things change rapidly in our 40's and the eye changes faster than other parts of the body. If you mean a 'quarter' of a diopter that's not much change at all. The biggest change in our vision for most people is for near and reading. That problem is called 'presbyopia'.  There is so much variability in how presbyopia and middle age affect people that I can't generalize. If someone is farsighted then the aging process will eventually affect the distance and intermediate vision (shop, computers)

Your best solution would be to see an eye physician (Eye MD = Ophthalmologist), not have an exam in a store or commercial optician, not see an optometrist ( Optometrist = non-physician, limited eye care provider) but an ophthalmologist for a comprehensive medical eye examination which will include a refraction or glasses tests. Only this could give you the reassuranace that these are normal aging changes and not due to any eye pathology like cataracts.

JCH MD Eye Physician & Surgeon
-1 Comments
Blank
Thanks very much for your advice. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
233488_tn?1310696703
John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
Discover Vision Centers of Kansas City
Kansas City, MO
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity