Vision distortion after retina detachment surgey

I am 30 year old male. Has retina detachment in my right eye few month ago with no reason. After 3 surgeries. I want to share my experience and see if any one have similar situation and how is the recovery.

April 18, retina detached 50% and had scleral buckle. Everything is fine until a month later I found more distortion and blurriness.

June 2, vitrectomy and peel membrane with gas bubble. After I face down for 9 days
June 11, scar tissue pulling retina detach again, and had a surgery in same day. vitrectomy, laser, silicone oil.

Now, 6 weeks after the third surgery, vision acuity is improving over the time(I see 20/50), but distortion is bad and seems getting worse. I understand line waving is common, but mine is much worse.

object becomes smaller in the centers and small object disappear in center. When I look at my nose in mirror, I see a small head in big body, and  nose disappeared. Square monitor becomes wide screen monitor.

I saw my retina doctor a week ago and he found some membrane both below and above macular and some scar tissue on left. He said he would remove them along with oil in 3-4 months.

I also have some question. Is this kind distortion normal after surgery or any new problems? Will be better after oil removal? How about missing spot in center while doctor said nothing membrane in macular, will it be permanent or will be improved in future? I am so scared of having this kind of vision forever.

Use the search feature and archives to read about macular puckers, macular membranes and macular holes.

This type of experience is common. In spite of all the surgery it usually is NOT possible to make the eye as good as before all of this started but you may be helped some by further membrane stripping

JCH MD