Eye Care Expert Forum
Vision going in and out

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Vision going in and out

Just yesterday afternoon, my vision started going in and out. It doesn't go out of focus and then return, it's more like the images scramble for a few seconds, as though my brain doesn't want to accept what my eyes are seeing. It's so bad that I am nearly completely blind for the few seconds it occurs. After a short time, my vision returns to normal, but the same problem occurs about half a minute later, over and over. After a small dinner and a vitamin pill, it seemed to stop, though I don't know if the two are related or not. I thought the problem had solved itself, but it has just started happening again. This is extremely frustrating and more than a little unnerving. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Your symptoms suggest a possible vascular problem like migraine, or transient ischemic attack.  I don't know your medical history but you should talk to your personal physician right away or if can't get in touch then go to emergency room.

Michael Kutryb, MD
Thank you for the input, Doctor Kutryb.

Some research I looked at stated that low blood sugar could cause double vision to happen in quickly reoccurring instances. I have recently given up a number of foods, including most carbohydrates, sugar, red meat, and carbonated drinks. Also, it seems that after I eat that the problem goes away, as I ate after the problem started today and again it ceased. Could this be the problem? Also, there is no pain associated with the problem. I am only 22 years old and in fairly good shape, so I would hate to think that it would be something too serious.
People often have this symptom prior to fainting, but not everyone goes into the full faint every time. Do you feel dizzy while this happens? Ask a doctor to take a standing and sitting blood pressure to check for blood pressure problems. In my experience doctors do not usually think to do this so you will have to ask. In order to eliminate blood pressure problems you really need a full tilt table test but the standing and sitting blood pressure reading is a good test to start with.

Don't let anyone tell you that it's psychogenic until you've investigated all the possibilities. This symptom can also rarely be caused by seizures, so you may want to ask a neurologist about that.

Please do not drive!