Eye Care Community
Vision problems after abdominal surgery - Scopolamine patch
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Vision problems after abdominal surgery - Scopolamine patch

I just had a laparotomy for endometriosis and ovarian cysts 2 weeks ago.  The surgery appeared to go well.  The next day after surgery, I realized my vision was poor, my prescription eyeglasses for nearsightedness would not allow me to see even objects up close clearly.  I told the nurse and she removed the scopolamine patch behind my left ear.  I had never been given that before and have no idea why they decided to use it.  I went home from the hospital with blurry vision and 2 weeks later not much has improved.  
Symptoms:
bright light hurts eyes- must use hat and sunglasses outdoors
dizzy and distorted vision when in bright light
cannot drive
riding in car makes me sick if my eyes stay open
can only use the computer limited time approx. 1 hr before eye strain
eyelids twitch when closing independently
pupil dialation appears normal

I went to my eye dr.  He was convinced I had a bad reaction to the scopolamine patch.  He said it would take days to weeks for it to go away.  He said the scopolamine affected the focusing mechanism in my eye.  My blood vessels and eye nerves looked perfect, he said.  He could tell my focus distance was off.  
My OB/GYN sent me to a neurologist.  He couldn't determine what was wrong from the office exam, but ordered a MRI and bloodwork, including thyroid tests.
I am totally overwhelmed by the possibility that my vision will never be the same again.  I am a 38 yr old healthy working mom.  But may lose my job if I can't get back to work soon.