Eye Care Expert Forum
Vision problems with one IOL

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Vision problems with one IOL

Last year I had a toric IOL implanted in my left eye, I also underwent collagen xlinking in both eyes for Keratoconous.
Currently I am slightly far sighted +1 in my left eye with -2 astigmatism.  My right eye without correction is -6.5 with -4 astigmatism.  I have recently tried a kerasoft ic lens with no success.  I still use a toric soft lens but can only be corrected to 20/60.  I seem to get dizzy have an awful time reading and have lost my depth perception.  Driving is a challenge especially at night with halos and starbursts.  I have a slight cataract in my right eye and am curious if had a toric iol implanted would this help my situation?
Based on your condition and measurements, it sounds like you have a tough case to treat.  The headaches and lack of depth perception likely come from the fact that the correction in both eyes are so different.  Given that you've already had a toric lens placed in your left eye, the question you have to ask yourself if compared to before the placement of the toric lens, is the quality of the vision significantly improved (keeping the right eye covered).  If the answer is yes, then there is a fairly good chance that doing the same on the right will provide a similar benefit.  If you're not totally pleased with the results of the left eye, it would not hurt to get a second opinion preferably from a corneal specialist who specializes in cataract and laser refractive surgery.