Eye Care Community
Visual Aura-Related to Congenital Heart Disease?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Visual Aura-Related to Congenital Heart Disease?

Hello,

I'm a 21 year old female who was born with Congenital Heart Disease.  I have undergone multiple corrective procedures.  However, I am having a pulsating visual aura all day overtop of anything I look at that is bright.  I see this in my peripheral vision, mostly in the right of my visual field.  My color vision has become duller and I am extremely sensitive to brightness.  Anything that is slightly bright appears to have major glare on top of it.  This has also made me have a hard time seeing things that are close in contrast.  I have seen an opthamologist, however, do not feel that I have been properly diagnosed.  All I really understood is that my optic nerve is swollen.  However, my complaints of the pulsating aura seemed to have been overlooked, in my opinion.  I feel like I'm going crazy, as it doesn't make sense that I see this all day and there is nothing that can be done to help it.  I saw a similar post in which it was recommended that the aura could be associated with Heart Problems.  If you have any information on this, could you please let me know.  I have had an MRI done on my Brain/Orbits which did not show MS.  My ERG was delayed and my OCT showed some swelling of the optic nerve that I was told could explain the glare.  At one point I was told it was cone dystrophy and at another I was told it was optic neruopathy.  Because there was never a reason why the diagnosis changed, I'm feeling as though I have been misdiagnosed or something has been overlooked. Due to my long history with heart disease I'm curous to find out about how it could be related.  Any input about my condition would be greaty appreciated.

Thank you very much : )