Eye Care Community
Visual Snow, and worried about brain tumors

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

It started a couple months ago I kept getting numerous floaters that just wouldnt go away the I started getting pixelated vision (kind of like looking at the world through a tv screen) then sparkles in the dark or eyes closed, and now I have started seeing what looks like like fly zooming everywhere when I look at the sky. I kept getting headaches before and yesterday I had this weird muscle twitch where my shoulder just jerked up and it ws quite painful (this may have nothing to do with my problem).

Well I was looking around the internet after having two opticions tel me that my eys were perfect and came across Visual Snow it fitted what I was getting exactly and that put my mind at rest. Well until I read that visual snow could be a sign of brain tumors and now Im really panicking because I have a few of the symptoms of brain tumors and Im only 14.

I am really scared but my parents arent taking my seriously they keep saying the opticians said you were fine, I really want to get an MRI scan to check for brain tumor.

Do you think I could have it? Using the symptoms I described?
See a neuro-ophthalmologist. Find one  at www.aao.org   Use the search feature and read the many postings about visual snow. I don't comment much on visual snow because frankly I have not had patients complain of it nor is there much research on the subject.

JCH III MD
Hello Hulabana, to participate in a survey addressing visual snow and other persistent perception problems please contact ***@****. He is a neurologist and psychiatrist making a study in the topic. He will send you a survey that may help in finding out more about the possible causes in your case (BTW tumours are really rare as a cause of persistent visual snow, other diagnoses are much more frequent) so that you can take these informations with you with your next visit to a doctor at your place.
Dang, I didn't realize I couldn't post an email address. If you do google "Those With Visual Snow, you should be able to find the forums dedicated to this, as well as the survey.
-