Eye Care Expert Forum
Visual problems in child

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Visual problems in child

My daughter is 8 years old and since school has started she has been complaining that as she is reading, the words disappear very briefly.  She said it is just a word or two and she can see the other words around it.  She said I isn't blurry, just gone for a second and then it comes back.  I took her for an eye exam and the doctors only response was at this age sometims their friends are getting glasses.  This is not the case for her and she isnt trying to get attention.  He did dialate her eyes and said they were healthy.  Her vision was slightly off and she is a bit nearsighted but didn't feel she needed glasses yet.  She has been complaining for about a month and the frequency of it happening is increasing...it is just about daily now.  My question is, should I seek a second opinion?  Does this sound neurological in nature?  She did have what I believe to be her first optical migraine the other day...she had a blind spot, then described seeing a half moon and then had a headache. She said the words disappearing are completely different from the blind spot she had  because the blind spot lasted longer and was wherever she looked.  With the reading, she still sees the page and the words come right back.  Any input would be much appreciated.  I don't want to be an over reactive parent, but don't feel it is normal to have words disappear daily.  
Would not hurt to get a second opinion from a pediatric ophthalmologist since if she had something neurological in nature, she may benefit from getting a baseline visual field test to assess her peripheral vision as well as making sure her refraction is correct and assessing her pupils and optic nerves.