Eye Care Community
Visual snow

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Visual snow

Hi Doctor,

I was just doing some search for my eye problem and got on to this site. hope this will help get rid of my anxiety of years.
My symptoms are same as visual snow (TV vision at nite and dots on light surface)..have done eye examination and almost all docs have concluded it as eye floaters. My questions are -
1. Is this a disease. Am I as able as others..because I feel low and depressive because of this  
    problem.
2. One doctor said problem is floaters however, he drew a diagram of eye with statement white
    lesion found. What was that? although he said its ok need not worry.
3.  Is neurological examination required? On visual snow site, I heard abt a term called persistent
     aura. Does that require treatment ?
4. wat shd be my attitude towards those dots ... can they increase ?

Pls reply.

Thanks n regards
Dots on light is usually not visual snow but seeing the blood cells cirulate around your macular in the capillaries. It's perfectly normal often called flying corpusules or a blue field phenomenon.

I have no personal experience with visual snow, I've never diagnosed it, I've never attended a medical lecture about it. It seems quite the in vogue diagnosis on a lot of eye and neurological related websites.

There should be little confusion about visual snow, floaters and flying corpusles as they really don't look that alike.

I will not comment on visual snow as I don't have first hand knowledge of it. Floaters and flying corpusles are not a disease.

read the posts using "search" about floaters and visual snow and entopic phenomena

It unlikely you need to worry.

JCH III MD
Avatar n tn
Thanks a lot Doctor :-) for relieving tension

Does that mean I shd nt go for any neurological check-ups .. Aually I was was worried a lot whether the problem is due to any neuro disease.
Avatar dr m tn
You should probably discuss your symptoms with your personal physician and the two of your decide if you need to see a neurologist.

JCH III MD