Eye Care Expert Forum
Visual snow

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Visual snow

Hi Doctor,

I posted my query a few months bak on this forum regarding Visual snow. I have been experiencing similar symptoms as that of visual snow from years. I am in early twenties. I was adviced that time to be watchful as I have gone thru retinal check ups and that was normal. I was also advised to view information available on Internet regarding visual snow.

Today while going thru http://www.thevisioncommunity.com, I found visual snow categorized under optic nerve and visual cortex. On searching more it seems that there was a guy  (not a doctor) on a public forum who believed it (visual snow) to be because of optic nerve problem.

Being a doctor, Pls confirm from ur end. That will be highly grateful and pls do advice treatment.

Regards.
Please do not post questions twice as it prevents someone else from asking a question.

The Eye Forum MDs
Okay - I should hav asked more precisely - Can we link visual snow with optic nerve or visual cortex malfunctioning ? Any suggestion on this. Does it remain detecable in eye checkups or any special check-ups need to be done.  
1. Visual snow is NOT recognizable on an eye exam or with any special tests.
2. Little is known about this nor are then any conclusive studies of the cause of this. It is not due to optic nerve function so it wouldhave to originate somewhere in the brain.

JCH III MD
Good perseverence. It is important to know whether something is a nerve extension or from the brain. Then you can figure it out. Some pharmacist are very intelligent in that area also. I had a side effect of a med, and  asked if it came from nerve ending or brain, No clear answer, but reasoning out lead to brain. So I had my answer, although my doctor, at that time disagreed, and pharmacist wasn't sure. Few years later, I met someone who was using that med to treat the side effect, I had triggered from the brain. So there you go. Remember, they call it a practice, not a perfect. We all learn together, doctors and patients. yeah I guess both ends have to be patient.  I think I found my answers. Spots from either contact lense solution, would be infection, but more likely, since upon waking, from bad pillow, cutting off flow to brain,from laying pinch in neck. Thanks good night !!!