Vitreal Fluid Leak
Diabectic posterior subcapsular cataract removed right eye first. Then regular cataract removed from left eye. Both with the standard implanted lenses. 1-1/2 months ago, opthalmologist determined that the capsule behind the lens on both eyes needed cleaning. Left eye was cleaned first with YAG laser, then after a week or so, the right eye. By the time I returned for the follow-up, I was still having some decreased vision in the left eye. It was determined that vitreal fluid had leaked from the back of the eye and had come forward over my implanted lens which was causing vision to be a little blurred. My opthalmologist called a retina specialist right there on the spot and I was given an appt with the retina specialist as well as the warning signs for retinal detachment. At my appointment with the retina specialist he dictated orally in my presence. I believe from what I heard and my ensuing questions that there also a few tears in the retina. I was again given the warning signs for retinal detachment.

My question is: How long should one wait to see if the fluid will crystallize and go away before considering a Victrectomy? Are there other options to the Victrecomy. While performing the Vitrectomy is it usual to make repairs to the tears in the retina? I understand they are trying to get a Constellation in and that machine would make surgery easier - how so? Thanks in advance for your advice.
Thank you so much for your opinion.
This is too vague to answer with any useful information. You will need to get that from your surgeon or the retina Eye MD consultant.
JCH MD
Thank you for your comments, I don't trust the retina specialist as he is young and just starting out. If I knew exactly what information you needed I could certainly obtain it and we could go from there if you are willing.
For medical-legal reasons we are not allowed to practice medicine, give specific diagnosis and make specific recommendations. Read the extensive "disclaimer" for all the forums. We cannot and will not look at individualized tests, nor can I answer e mails outside of this forum or speak on the phone with medhelp.org members.

JCH MD
So sorry, didn't mean to cross any lines. I do appreciate your candor and response.
=