Eye Care Community
Vitrectomy/ERM Surgery post-op pics

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Vitrectomy/ERM Surgery post-op pics

6919330?1305822498
I am trying to post a photo of my eye 3 days post Vitrectomy/ERM peel surgery.  
I was hoping that someone could let me know if it looks like I need to be concerned, or if this looks like it falls within the "normal" range.

1) Day after Surgery:  White cornea was almost completely filled with blood both sides of Iris.
2) 2nd day post surgery:  The one side of cornea blood subsided mostly, but got a bit bulbous.
3) 3rd day (today) :  The bulbous area seems to have filled a little more with edema (?) and is bulging in two spots.

My question is:  
Does anyone have any shared experiences as to whether this is to be expected ?
I cannot find any helpful websites with photos of what is to be expected, so I am a little concerned.

If anyone can share their experience or opinions, I would GREATLY appreciate it !!!
=
Dear Dr. Hagan,  Your comment didn't come across.

I would absolutely love to hear your comment on whether this is common and what I might expect from here, and/or any suggestions on what I might do to help ? ;-)
There is no "normal."  Vitrectomies are performed for different reasons.  I'd expect that recovery following a complicated retinal detachment would take longer than recovery following an ERM peel.

Following an ERM peel, for a few very lucky patients it's difficult to tell which eye had the surgery the following day.  I was one of the minority of patients who got a black eye and swelling.  Your eye doesn't look bad to me at all.  Keep in mind that the redness and inflammation are only temporary.  What's important is your vision.  You are still very early in the healing process.  Please keep us posted about your visual recovery during the coming weeks.
=
Hello Dr. Hagan,
It looks like you are trying to post  a comment but they are not showing up.  PLEASE try again.
Thanks Jodie...I was wondering if all of the blood and bulges were quite common or why the bulges even happened.  

Was also wondering if I was leaking fluid from the "unsealed tropar" holes if perhaps the surgeons assistant didn't massage the holes when removing the tropars?

Also, the Laser machine "broke down" during lasering a hemorage during ERM peel and there was about a 8 minute delay until they could bring in another Laser machine, hook and warm it up.  I wasn't happy about that and was wondering if that may have created any problems for me either now or in the future ?  

I'm ready for some "good luck" anytime now !  ;-)     Please let me know if you have any thoughts on any of the above.  
Thank You !!!

If that is a possibility, would my eye still have enough saline solution it it after leaking this much ?
homecrafter   "=" means I have read the post and feel no need to post further.  Jodie J is such an informed and experienced responder and has been through all of this that I rarely need to add anything to her posts. She is a great asset to these forums and I thank her for her time and expertise.

JCH MD
The blood is common and expected.  It will be re-absorbed.  Call your surgeon's office and ask about the bulges.  Actually, your surgeon is your best source of information for all your questions and concerns.  And congratulations for proceeding and having the surgery behind you.  I'll bet it was a lot easier than you expected.
=
You were right all along Jodie...the surgery itself WAS a lot easier than I expected and I even went under Local Anest. instead of the General Anest. like I had planned.

Now for the recovery part...I'll keep you posted.  So far with the blood in the cornea and the two swelled bumps, (apparently from leakage out of the tropar holes) things are not going as smooth as I had hoped.    

I happen to be one of those kind of people in which it really helps me to understand the possible reason for things when they don't go "normal".  That is why this forum and all of your comments are so valuable to me (and I am sure many others).  You spent the time researching ERM's, etc. and are kind enough to take your time to share with others.  I hope to do the same when I get thru this recovery.

Thank you again !

My eye looked much the same after ERM peel. - pretty awful. I likened the sclera  to the white of a fried egg that had bubbled.  It went away in a week or two and at post-op visit they said it looked fine.  It happened that the surgeon had taken a stitch, which irritated me and was the worst part of my recovery.  Ointment helped.  I was happy I had  taken 2 1/2 weeks off from work as was recommended.  
Thank you Caren...it's nice to know that someone else had a similar bulge post surgery and they went away.  Did you have any long term side effects from the bulges ?
Did your surgeon ever say what the extra fluid was due to ?  

I didn't have a stitch but I was told from someone else that the bulges may be due to the tropar holes not sealing up well and the fluid they put inside my eye leaking out thru the holes.
The bulges were in the tropar positions, so that made sense.  I just wonder if the Surgeon or assistant that pulled the tropars after surgery didn't massage the holes properly to seal them up.   Guess that is one of those things I will never know unless another Dr. happens to tell me that is what causes that type of bulge.

If you can share anything else with me , let me know, and thanks again.
It's so unfortunate that many retinal surgeons don't provide more information to their patients about what to expect during their recovery.  It would really reduce anxiety for many people.

Homecrafter, I assume that you're seeing your surgeon regularly for postop visits.  I don't think that you need to worry about the appearance of your eye.  It's your vision that's important.  You no longer have to look through a layer of scar tissue!  As the inflammation inside your eye resolves during the coming weeks, your acuity should show progressive improvement.  After my first ERM surgery, I downloaded a free eye chart and checked my vision daily.  My testing results at home were remarkably consistent with those obtained in the office.

I  
My eye was very bloody also for two weeks. Now it is two months post operation, it is a bid red like konjoctivit. I think your eye is normal. İt will be cleared from blood as time passes.
I had combined vitrectomy and cataract surgery in order to remove the floaters from my right eye. The healing period was hard. Gas disappeared in 20 days. In first week I had no pain, but during second and third weeks I had a pain, which lasts 5 minutes averagly 4-5 times a day.
After one month the pain has gone.
I have two problems after surgery. Dilated pupil and dark, foggy ark like area at my peripheral vision. It is foggy,dark,vibrating arc area on my right side of peripheral vision. It increases when I look at left or look at near.
According to my research, it looks like negative dysphotopsia. But my surgeon says that it is caused by lasering the right side of retina. According to him, it will diminish as the eye heals.
But I am confused now. Is it negative dysphotopsia or affect of lasering? It is very annoying.
I wish you a nice healing period. I hope by time passes, the problems will diminish by themselves.
Dear Jodie and everyone,
Thanks again for all of your comments.  I agree with Jodie 100%, it is a real shame that the Retina Specialists that are in charge of our vision (as well as mental attitude during this scary ordeal) do not explain things better.  They could take just 10 minutes and highlight the important aspects.

After seeing 4 specialists and not having one even giving me a clear understanding of:  
A) my specific diagnosis  
B) the likely complications of the surgery
C) some of the post-surgery  

They seem to unnecessarily get "defensive" when specific questions are asked saying "I can't give you a guarantee".  How about just saying something like "in my experience I've found that ______."  

OK, now that I've vented.   What IS really helpful are shared experiences from Forums like this and generous caring people like all of you that are willing to spend the time to help a complete stranger that has "maxed out" on the Retina Surgeon's allowed question/answer
time.    
A website or handout with some examples of photos of actual eyes (like I have on my original comment) with various normal/abnormal complications would be so very helpful, don't you all agree?  I'm sure there are Dr. liability issues or something preventing them from providing patients with this type of thing, but it sure would help with the anxiety level when odd things like bulges pop up.