Eye Care Expert Forum
Vitrectomy Recovery

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Vitrectomy Recovery
I had successful vitrectomy 6 weeks ago. Everything went well, and I am still retaining all of my vision. The recovery is progressing quite well although I have a couple of questions. I'm back to full activities, however, I have noticed that, during the day, I still experience some mild pain (less and less every day) and that my vision gets blurry as the day progresses. In the morning my vision is excellent. Is this part of the healing process and how long does it typically take to fully recover? My second question is - I had cataract surgery a couple of years ago set for distance at 20/20.  Can vitrectomy surgery change the refraction or would my vision be the same as before the surgery? Vitrectomy recovery comments are welcome. Thank you.
A vitrectomy will not usually change your glasses prescription unless accompanied by a scleral buckle. You vision can change if the disease or problem for which the vitrectomy was done (vitreous hemorrhage, epiretinal macular membrane removal, macula hole repair, diabetes, etc) damages the eye. In other words you may or may not recover your 'normal' vision before the problem developed.

Because there are a vareity of reasons why people have vitrectomies the healing process proceeds at different rates in different people. You best source of information for your special problem is your ophthalmic surgeon and I would talk frankly with him/her about your concerns.

JCH MD Eye Physician & Surgeon (Eye MD = Ophthalmologist)
A related discussion, vitrectomy was started.
A related discussion, Macular Degeneration bleed and Vitrectomy was started.