Vitrectomy Scar Tissue
10 years ago, my husband had to undergo Trans pars plana vitectomy to remove a piece of metal that had gone into his eye. The surgery was extensive and in the process they had to remove his lens as well as reattach his retinal. His vision in that eye is terrible but he has been told that due to scar tissue on his retina, even with contact lenses or a lens implant his vision would stay at 20/60 in that eye. I realize 20/60 doesn't sound too awful bad, BUT considering his good eye is better than 20/20 his depth perception is awful, when wearing his contact lens he has a wierd double vision problem and he has trouble doing the things he once loved like playing tennis, basketball or softball.

His opthamologist has now retired and for the most part the yearly check ups with him were just a matter of looking in his eye and getting the see you next year.

Is there any surgery that could be performed at this point that could some how remove the scar tissue that has formed after his surgery in 1997? Any advances what so ever?

Any advice or information at all would be so helpful!!!!

Obviously there has been many advances since 1997 in all fields of medicine. Whether further surgery or putting an intraocular lens (IOL) would be helpful would require a consultation with a retina Eye MD. I think it would be worth while.

REMEMBER: the most important things is NOT doing more for the bad eye but keeping the good eye healthy. The biggest risk to your husband's eye is likely trauma and he sould be wearing glasses for protection all the time and if he has to do something like power tools, lawnmower, etc he should wear protective goggles. He needs a routine eye exam each year with an Eye MD ophthalmologist.

If the retiring Eye MD has partners you might see them or you can find a retina surgeon in your area at www.aao.org

JCH III MD