Eye Care Community
Vitrectomy recovery time - Time Off of Work, etc.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

26 year old female - I may need to have my vitreous jelly removed (Vitrectomy) to clear up my vision after blood has been leaking into it.  I had a steroid injection but thusfar the vision remains the same. This surgery may also include cryotherapy to fix the vessels.  To my knowledge there would be no plan for a buckle or air bubble to hold the retina in place - it is not torn nor detached.  

How long of recovery time is usually needed before going back to work?  Thanks in advance!
Your surgeon is the best source of information about your likely recovery time.  Call his/her office and ask.
---
I am in the pretty much same situation as the original poster.  I have not been assigned a surgeon yet.  I know ( and bent0088 probably knows) that the surgeon would have the definitive answers, but it would be nice to know what the range is, what is considered a quick recovery, what might make a recovery be more drawn out.  I am self employed and am anxious about getting back to work.  In my case only one eye is affected.  Thanks for any help on this.
-
I am new to the forum.  I see Dr. Hagen's name as reply on this thread,but it doesn't look like there is a message.  Am I missing something?  Does that mean Dr. Hagen read the message before but doesn't have a comment?
I had cryotheraphy done in 2003 for a tumor in my right eye.  I went back to work quickly; the only restriction - do not bend over and do not pick up anything weighing more than 5 pounds for three weeks.  I had vitrectomies done in 2006 and 2007 (when I could no longer work).  The only problem for me after both vitrectomies was that my eyes stayed dialated for three weeks.  I could not see to do close work (like computers) and could not stand the light.  I looked sort of strange wearing sun glasses in my own home!
Hope this helps.