Eye Care Community
Vitreous Degeneration & Vitamin or Mineral Deficiency?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Posting this to see if anyone has had experience with vitreous degeneration/syneresis and traced it back to a vitamin or mineral deficiency?

I am going to see a nutritonal optometrist who seems to believe that certain deficiencies can cause a premature breakdown of the vitreous. I have seen that zinc can cause a breakdown in collagen in humans (as well as cause tinnitus, which I have), so I'm holding out hope that there is some truth to this.

Has anyone had any similar experience or information? Thanks!
I am not aware of zinc or vitamin deficiency leading to premature vitreous syneresis.  Vitreous syneresis is a normal aging change and is quite common in people over 60 years old.  It can occur in younger patients due to high myopia, trauma, or vascular disease such as diabetes which leads to leakage of proteins in the the vitreous cavity.

Acute vitreous detachment with floaters and flashes may be a sign of a retinal tear which can lead to a retinal detachment.  Any one with a new onset of floaters should see an eye care specialist ASAP.
Thank you for your reply.

I am a 28 year old male with other systemic conditions presenting themselves in the past few months. The vitreous syneresis has come on in just the past 1 1/2 months.

Does a liquification of the vitreous always mean a PVD will come? If the liquification was to halt (for whatever reason) could that mean that a PVD is less likely? I know there is no way to reverse what's happened to this point but my goal is to try and find out what is causing this and stop it's progress. I believe that these are all tied together and something is causing and/or triggering all my recent set of symptoms.

Also I was slightly myopic (-2.25 & -2.50) and had successful LASIK 4 years ago. Could LASIK be a potential cause of vitreous syneresis?
There is no evidence that all your symptoms are tied together (although plenty of alternative health folks would have you believe it so they can "sell" you treatments).  Things can just occur coincidentally.  Vitreous syntheresis is no big deal.  You're making a mountain of a molehill.  If you find yourself continually obsessing about this, I'd recommend strongly you seek treatment for anxiety.  Anxiety can dramatically increase your perception of physical symptoms and create worry and stress when it's not necessary.
I understand that while right now syneresis may not be as serious of a condition as say a retinal tear or detachment,it is the 1st step in getting there. While I really do appreciate your reply, I am not asking for confirmation that syneresis is serious or not (someone else had a similar reply to yours on another post), what I'm looking for is more information as to the why and how.
Why not just google it and read all about it - there's plenty of information regarding the why and the how.  But I'd seriously look into your anxiety about it - that's probably more of a problem.
I have searched all around for answers and everything basically says it's part of aging, deal with it. There are a few studies and links to certain deficiencies which cause premature vitreous breakdown which is why I posted this thread, in the hopes that someone may have had something similar and could speak to their experience.

Mine has come on in a very acute manner, in both eyes, and in a short period of time and is progressively degenerating. While I have also went from what would be considered "great health" to not good at all in a manner of weeks - it's too coincidental for me... Maybe this should be posted under a different category then, but if there is research & studies out there being done to investigate this, there could be some truth to it.
If you want to look at scientific studies (as opposed snake oil salesmen), then go to pubmed.gov and type in key words (e.g., posterior vitreous nutrition).  If there's research being done on the topic, that's the place to start.
I don't understand why, but you will see many people posting a constellation of symptoms (similar to ones you mentioned in your previous post) along with acute floaters in both eyes, not a single eye. Since I suffered the identical experience, I'm realizing now that opthomologists are used to dx-ing folks with more traditional eye aging issues and not folks like us.  I have bad floaters, visual snow, and many symptoms associated with retinal detachment, yet the opthomologist sees a healthy retina.

At least in my case, Vit deficiency does not seem to be the root cause, I dont know what is.
Floaters are VERY common. Dr Hagan mentioned that may be PVD is not bad at all. Here is the link.
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/702417
GET OVER IT, BLOODY HELL!!! YOU ARE MYOPIC!!!
Hey Jason, thanks for the info... I have a few more doctor appointments and what not and I'll make sure to keep you in the loop with what we find out.
I was actually looking for information on that, thank you for passing that thread on over :)