Eye Care Community
Vitreous Floaters After Vitrectomy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Vitreous Floaters After Vitrectomy?

Now I'm told that the debris in eye, after 25 gauge vitrectomy, is vitreous floaters.  Is there a good chance they will settle down out of sight?  Thanks for the prior response to my first question.
Tags: floaters
What was the vitrectomy for?

There is a good chance they will settle with time.

Dr. O.
I had two vitrectomies and I found they settled in time.  Not like floaters before a vitrectomy that most often don't.
Thanks for responding Dr. Oyakawa.  The surgery was for a massive floater that was hanging across my vision.  That is gone, but I have a web-like sheet of floaters now.  It is encouraging to think it may settle out of my vision at some point.  
Thanks for the response.  I agree that these post-op floaters are not as bad as they don't stay in the field of vision 100% of time.  Still, it is a large cobweb like group of floaters and I sure do hope it will settle after 4-6 months.  Thanks again as it does help to hear from others who have had this problem.  My surgeon seems very hesitant to discuss it.  
I had a vitrectomy done two months ago.  I had floaters after but not like the floters before the surgery.  In fact on some days I still see a few.  Most of those floaters you see MIGHT be inflamation (inflammation) cells which is totally normal.  They MIGHT also be red blood cells which do get absorbd by the body with time.  The reason I say MIGHT is becuase of course I am not a doctor and you would need to consult your surgeon.  He or she could tell you exactly what they are i.e. vitreous floaters, inflamation (inflammation) cells or blood floaters.

I have heard that people have these for several months after post op before they resolve themselves.