Eye Care Community
Vitreous Hemorrhage absorption?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Vitreous Hemorrhage absorption?

I’m 21 years old and 8 months ago I got grazed in my right eye by a clump of dirt someone threw. When I went to the doctor the morning after the incident he looked into my eye with a slit lamp and said there was blood there, but that it was too dense for him to see my retina and to come back a week later to give the blood time to disperse a little.

When I went back everything was fine. The blood remained, but has gotten lighter and more mobile (I guess) over the past 8 months, although I still notice light, wispy, pieces dart across my vision when looking up at a clear blue sky.

I guess what I am asking is that these remnants of blood that I still see in my eye…are they ever going to fully dissolve without surgical intervention? I read somewhere that blood takes longer to dissolve in ‘younger’ eyes with a fully formed vitreous (I’m only 21).

Is it normal for pieces of blood from a traumatic vitreous hemorrhage to still be present in the eye after so many months in cases like mine? Should I expect to live with this for life, or will it eventually dissolve? I wasn’t given much information on Vitreous Hemorrhages except for what I’ve read on the internet.

The duration of a vitreous hemorrhage depends on the amount of blood from the original bleed and the age of the patient.  You may need surgery ff it does not completely clear.

Dr. O.