Eye Care Expert Forum
Vitreous degeneration....

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Vitreous degeneration....

I was diagnosed with mild vitreous degeneration in the right eye about 6 months ago. I was just wondering... does vitreous degeneration always lead to posterior vitreous detachment later in life? If so, how long after the vitreous starts to degenerate does it take for PVD to occur?I wear a -3.75 in the R eye. I wear a -3.00 in the L eye. I am clinically blind in the L eye. Thank you...
Dear LPNGirl07,

The posterior vitreous detachment may take years to develop.  The amount of time may vary from person to person.  Keep on the lookout for new symptoms of flashes of light with your eyes closed, a sudden increase in the number of floaters or a curtain coming down.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California

So I'm assuming this mean a PVD will definitely occur at some point in my life then right?
I am wondering the same thing. My floater & vitreous issues have came on with other systemic symptoms but I am wondering if the vitreous degeneration was to "halt" itself and not get any worse, if it would still mean an increased risk for a PVD.

Are there people who get some degeneration and never go on to a PVD?
Yeah, I have actually try to find info on the internet about it, but can't find much. All I ever find is how vitreous degeneration can lead to PVD..
I forgot to mention, I'm 28 years old as well, female. I have had some neurological/systemic issues too for about 6 years now, with no diagnosis... I wonder if there is a connection with it all?....
I'm a 28 year old male... here's a full list of my symptoms

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/707442

I am 100% convinced that this is all tied together. It all came on at once. Even if one condition isn't causing everything, it may be triggering other events in my body to happen... Please keep me informed if you come across any promising information, I'll do the same!