Eye Care Expert Forum
WHAT IS THICKENING OF THE CORNEA?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

WHAT IS THICKENING OF THE CORNEA?

MY DR SAID I HAVE THICKENING OF THE CORNEA. I WAS BORN WITH CATARACTS AND DUE TO THE SURGERIES I NOW HAVE THE START OF GLAUCOMA. HE WILL NOT ANSWER MY QUESTIONS ABOUT WHAT THIS THICKENING IS OR CAN MEAN FOR THE FUTURE. I AM ALSO HAVING QUITE A BIT OF EYE PAIN AND VISION DISTORTIONS. LIKE I SEE FLASHING LIGHTS THAT MOVE FROM EYE TO EYE WITH MY EYES CLOSED AND OPEN. I AM ALSO SEEING WHAT SEEMS TO BE MOVING WATER IN MY FIELD OF VISION THIS IS USUALLY PROCEDED BY HEAD ACHES. ARE THESE THINGS RELATED? WHAT DOES THE THICKEN THING MEAN?
Dear MELIROSE25,

A thickening of the cornea may indicate swelling.  Swelling usually occurs from damage to the back the layer of the cornea associated with aging, trauma, or disease of the eye. The swelling can be observed for progression or medically treated with topical hyper-osmotic agents.  Should the swelling occur to such an extent that vision loss occurs, it can be surgically treated with corneal transplantation.

With respect to your visual symptoms of flashing lights, I would recommend that you seek the care of your eyeMD and have your eyes dilated to make sure that you do not have a retinal detachment.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California
THANK YOU VERY DR. FELDMAN. I APPRECIATE YOUR CANDIDER. MY MD ONLY TOLD ME ABOUT THE THICKENING BECAUSE MY PRESSURE WAS RUNNING AROUND 26 AND HE SAID HE DIDN'T BELIEVE THAT WAS A CORRECT READING. HE SAID HE BELIEVED THIS READING WAS WRONG DUE TO THE THICKENING ISSUE. HE KNOWS MY FAMILY HISTORY AND I MEAN MY MOM AMONG MANY OTHERS. WHICH HAS CATARACTS, GLAUCOMA, ASTIGMATISM, DETACHED RETNIA, THINNING OF THE CORNEA AND THREE CORNEA TRANSPLANTS. THAT IS ALL I CAN REMEMBER THAT MOM HAS HAD DONE. BUT HE KNOWS THIS SO WHY HAS HE BEEN SO, WELL, LESS THAN FORTHCOMING? I AM VERY CONFUSED AT THIS BEHAVIOR.I DIDN'T HAVE TRANSPLANTS UNTIL I WAS IN MY TEENS. I AM NOW 33.  I WAS BORN LEGALLY BLIND SO I WOULD LIKE TO MAINTAIN MY VISION AS LONG AS I CAN.  YOU HAVE BEEN A GREAT HELP. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.