Eye Care Community
Waking up blind

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Waking up blind

Lately i have been waking up with blindness in my right eye ...all i can see are lightning flashes in darkness...i have went to ther emergency room and even seen an eye doctor but they all tell me everything is find and the only thing they can think of is my blood pressure is dropping too low. I have recentll had a tia and i am greatly concerned with the latest issues i am having ..i have changed my whole lifestyle yet i feel as if i am further slipping into medical trouble.....By the way the blindness only last about less than ten seconds but it still concerns me.....i pray someone out there can give me a small clue as to what i am going through.
You stated you went to the ER and an eye doctor .. but I am wondering if they were/are able to really help you. I have found ER doctors to be clueless about eye issues. Was this an optometrist, ophthalmologist, etc .. there are many different "brands" (I'm sorry bad word, but idea is there) of eye doctors.

I had an actual retinal specialist miss 6 tears in my retina in an ER ... (long story, ends in surgery).

I would recommend you starting with your general practitioner. Because you state that it goes away, the blood pressure idea seems logical. Maybe even blood sugar levels? Go to the doctor who knows you the best, keep asking questions, and if there are not answers, ask for referrals to doctors who can help.

Being a self advocate in your health is essential. If you don't ask the right question to the right person, you may not get an answer.
A TIA (transient ischemic attack) is a potentially serious event. There are two types of "eye doctors" but only one is a MD, physician with extensive training in medical school and hospitals and that is an ophthalmologist.  If you saw a non-MD, non-physician, non medical school optometrist then you did not get the exam your eye deserves.

Find an Eye MD near you at www.aao.org OR ask your personal physician to refer you.

JCH MD
yes i was referred to an opthamologisrt and they dilated my eyes and did a full workup ..he informed me that everything was normal and that he could not see what the problem was which leads me here..i was hoping to run into someone, anyone who may have had the same problem but i still thankyou all for the input you have given to my problem and i shall keep searching for an answer
-