Eye Care Community
Was swelling of cornea a complication of cataract surgery?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Since having cataract surgery I found out I have a swollen cornea, which the doctor said was Fuchs' dystrophy.  Before the surgery I had not been told I had this condition.  On Thursday, Jan. 20, the doctor said to take
Muro 128 eye drops three times a day to reduce the swelling.  On my last visit to the doctor on Thursday, Jan. 28, three weeks after the surgery, I reported still having extremely blurry vision.  He said to continue the Muro 128 and to increae Omnipred to three times a day. He was optimistic that my vision would get better.  So far, I see no improvement.  Do you think this could be a complication of the surgery?  My next visit to the doctor is Tuesday, Feb. 2.  I am to see him and also another doctor to be tested for glasses.  I first noticed blurry vision last July and made an appointment to see the doctor. At that time, he said it was dry eye.  
Muros does not help for Fuch's dystrophy.  See a corneal specialist.  Fortunately, the endothelium can be transplante (DSAEK) and recover is quick.

Dr.O.
Thank you so very much for your prompt response.  You've given me good advice.

My  husband was told by our local doctor that he had fuch's syndrome and cataract and not to do only cataract surgery.  The fuch's clouds the eye and swells.  He went to a specialist in the dasaek procedure at UCI in Irvine CA.  Dr. Steinert is the top surgeon in the country.

I RECOMMEND YOU DON'T DO THE ONE WITHOUT THE OTHER.

jojoabc
Thanks for your information.  I appreciate your taking the time to send it..  I've already done the cataract surgery. It's too bad the doctor didn't realize I had Fuchs' dystrophy.  Fortunately, there is a very highly regarded corneal specialist in this area, Dr. Ann Guidera.  Had I known I had this condition I would have consulted her first. I hope your husband is doing well.
My husband's eye is not normal yet.  His pupil is enlarged and not functioning to adjust the light input.  He has to wear sunglasses a lot indoors to cut the glare.  The meds have not helped.  We're hoping more time will help and that this is not a damage of something done during the surgery.  The first graft did not take and he had a second one on sept. 3,2009.
I'm so sorry to hear that your husband's eye is still not normal.  I hope improvement will come in time.

I will have my first visit next Tuesday with the corneal specialist.

Best wishes for your husband's progress.
I saw the corneal specialist Tuesday.  She was very encouraging.  She was confident the blurry vision would go away, but that it might take a few months longer.  She said "time is my best friend."  I hope your husband's vision is better.
1 week after my cataract op I apparently had high eye pressure which may have been caused by one of the eye drops used to protect against inflammation and infection. I was on 3 different eyedrops; now on a fourth to counteract the pressure! Might be worth looking up the side effects of whatever medication you're on. Apologies if it is this Fuchs' - I've not heard of it - but just relating my experiences to you.
Thank you for your comment.  I hope the pressure goes down in your eye.  The Fuchs' dystrophy causes swelling in the cornea.  I'm taking Muro 128, which is a saline solution to help draw moisture from the eye.  I also take Omnipred. I trust your doctor will be able to find out why you have high eye pressure.  With just one week after surgery I would expect that you'll see improvement and the problem will be resolved.  Best wishes.
Also,, high eye pressure is sometimes caused by glaucoma.  I'm sure your doctor will be watching to find the cause.  Again, I hope all goes well.