Eye Care Expert Forum
Water Blister on Sclera

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Water Blister on Sclera

My four year old daughter developed a small bump on her sclera in May 2007 I took her to see an optometrist who said it was a water blister.  She told me that it was caused by exposure to the elements and that it is not common in children.  She recommended my daughter be seen by an opthamologist to see if that person could better explain the reason for the water blister.  Unfortunately, by the time we were able to get in to see an opthamologist the blister had disappeared.  It was on her eye for close to 6 days and she never complained of pain or blurred vision but her eye was extremely bloodshot in the area around the blister.  It has been 3 months since the blister appeared and then went away and she has begun to get another one.  Her eye starts out looking very bloodshot and then the blister develops on the sclera near the edge of the iris.  I want to know if this is dangerous and if it could cause vision problems?  Also what is the cause and is there any treatment?
The condition is not dangerous or sight threatening. Most likely it is a small cyst of conjunctiva,  the outer layer of the eye. They come and go, may be small or large, may be single or connect like a string of sausages. They look like small 'water blisters' or drops of water on the eye. Given your child's age removal would be difficult. In an adult its pretty simple and most will go away with a drop of anesthetic and antibiotics and sticking a couple of holes in it with a sterile needle. Reoccurences are not unusual.  If the cyst is small leaving it alone may be the best course, removal would likely require extreme immobilization or exam under anesthesia.

JCH III MD   Eye Physician & Surgeon
Thank you!