Eye Care Expert Forum
Watery eyes after reading for couple of hours

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Hello Doc
                I am very healthy in dividual in his late fifties. Currently wear reading glasses otherwise have a perfect vision. I have been examined by eye doctor six months ago and was given a clean chit. for last 4 weeks I have noticed my eyes little bit sticky and watery after reading  or TV viewing of couple of hours.  The water keeps dripping from the corner of my eyes. Unfortunately , I have lost my job and health insurance  four months ago . Is there over the counter solution to my problem  or is there a local DOC in my area I can see free or with a token fee ?
I don't know your area so I don't know where to refer you.  In the meantime, try lubricant drops like TheraTears every 3-4 hours and bedtime for starters and when eyes start to get irritated, take a break from reading and use some os the TheraTears.  If the problem persists see an ophthalmologist in your area. Excessive watering can be caused by excess tearing due to allergies or ocular irritation, or reflex tearing due to evaporation of the natural tear film or by sagging or poorly positioned eyelids, or a blocked nasolacrimal duct system.

Michael Kutryb, MD
A related discussion, cloudy eye was started.