Eye Care Community
Wavy Light Aura in Peripheral Vision
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Wavy Light Aura in Peripheral Vision

I experienced a wavy, Northern Lights-type aura in my peripheral vision while watching TV. It was very frustrating and a bit scary. The lights were in a half circle and in my right eye, although it persisted with each eye closed separately.

I researched and found someone reference Scintillating scotoma.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scintillating_scotoma

The wavy lights disappeared in about 10 minutes. No headache followed.


This discussion is related to instances of bright wavy peripheral vision.
Related Discussions
6 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
668969_tn?1227324403
If you are under thirty years old and have never had this before, it is almost surely a migraine aura. You can look this up. It is where the blood vessels in your brain contract mildly and this phenomenon occurs. Not unusual around the holidays where sleep patterns, stress, and various unusual food intakes (as caffeine, chocolate, alcohol) incite this. Migraines can be with or without the aura or headache part. Try to get to a more regulated lifestyle again and see your doctor if this continues or increases for additional care.

If you are over 30 and haver never had this sort of symptom or migraine, you should see your doctor for a work-up.
Blank
Avatar_n_tn
i'm 31 and have just had my first one. a bit scary. my mom had MS for 35 years, i worry ALOT! could this be any sign of MS or stroke type thing. it started out in my right eye and within minutes went to my left. left me feeling dizzy and nausa. thanks for any advice.
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
Use the searach feature and reac about eye migraines. You should see an ophthalmologist and your family MD. 90% plus chance its an eye migraine 5-10% chance it could be due to diseasae of heart, brain, eye or blood vessels.

JCH MD
Blank
Avatar_n_tn
I have MS and was diagnosed about a year and a half ago.  I also experience this same thing.  If your mom had MS, I would make sure to have regular checkups!
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
-
Blank
2585978_tn?1339743378
I've been getting these since I can remember.
The first time I think I was 11-12 years old. I was pretty young and I still see them like 3 times a week. Sometimes I get light-headed and I get pressure in my ears.
Weird stuff!

I researched this and found this site.. hope this helps.


http://www.everydayhealth.com/health-center/flashes-of-light-info.aspx
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Eye Care Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...
Sep 04 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...
Aug 28 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
Top Eye Care Answerers
Avatar_f_tn
Blank
flossy93
CA
Avatar_m_tn
Blank
KayakerNC
NC
344352_tn?1404490466
Blank
cristina1676
Lyndhurst, NJ
Avatar_m_tn
Blank
Craig10x
New York, NY
964075_tn?1390451878
Blank
davtpt
Waterbury, CT