Eye Care Expert Forum
Weeping eye... now swelling in face beside eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

My right eye has been weeping clear fluid for several weeks. Didn't seem like a big deal... I would wake up with a teary eye and a little crust that would easily wipe away. My eye would also tear up occaisionally throughout the day. Four days ago I felt a slight swelling in the right temple about half-way between my eye and ear. Yesterday the swelling increased to an area over the right jaw joint. There is some tenderness in the lymph glands in the neck below the right jaw.

Two days ago I began use of an opthalmic ointment, TobraDex, that has cleared up the weepy eye. The swelling over my jaw persists.

Does this seem like a bacterial infection? If so, what antibiotic would most likely be prescribed?
Thanks very much for your help,
Brian
Brian you need to be in a physician's office for this one. Probably your family physician. Try and get in tomorrow.

AND don't use a steroid containing ointment like Tobradex unless an Eye MD sees you first. It can make many types of eye problems much worse (example Herpes Simplex and corneal ulcers)

JCH III MD