Eye Care Expert Forum
Weird blind/shiny spot problem

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Weird blind/shiny spot problem

Today at work, I was sitting at my computer and i saw this small shiny spot obstructing some of my vision.  I closed my left and right eye and it was still in the same spot on both of them and it followed my vision as I moved my eyes around.  The spot grew and grew, but it didn't really obstruct my vision entirely.  It was like this spot with shiny edges but the middle of it, I could see clear.  For at least 15 minutes this spot grew.  and then left my right eye and sort of migrated over to my left eye.  I was experiencing no pain during any of this.  I got up to look at it in the bathroom mirror and couldn't see anything wrong with my eyes. When I got up, my vision sort of looked like as if one were to stand up too quickly from sitting down, but didn't feel any lightheadedness. Now, I am sitting at my desk still and my left eye feels very weird.  Itt's kinda like I have tunnel vision, but I checked my periferal vision with my hands at the sides of my head and could still see fine.  As I am typing this, if feels like my brain is favoring my right eye and as I focus in on things, I feel this tunnel vision effect.  It's really hard to describe this because I've never heard anything like this nor experienced this.  
.
This is a common reason for people posting questions as a review of the Archives of this forum will attest.  There are a number of things that might have caused this. Statistically the most common thing would be an 'ophthalmic migraine' or 'Visual/eye migraine'. These often do not have headaches or nausea with them. Please use the search feature on this page and review previous postings. In a small percentage of the cases there are things more serious that might cause this including trouble with heart, brain and blood vessels.

You need to see a Doctor of Medicine Eye Physician (Eye MD = Ophthalmologist) for a baseline comprehensive eye examination. You also should see your personal physician for a baseline physical exam. You may need some additional tests before concluding these are eye migraines.

JCH Eye Physician & Surgeon
Continued:

I should mention I wear contacts on a regular basis, but I clean them every day and never sleep with them in and change them out every 2 weeks as indicated.  I do have very bad nearsighted vision as my contact perscription is -6.50 in both eyes.  I have no had no history of major health poblems with my vision or my eyes before and neither does my family.  Another problem I have been having for a few months is a floater in my eye.  It like a bacteria thing in my vision, but I read that it's not a problem unless there are multiple. I don't know whether that's related, but I thought I'd mention it.

I think I should see a doctor soon, but I just want to get some feedback from this board as I can't find anything on the internet like what I am experiencing.

Thanks for your time.

I should also mention that I now experiencing a slight pain in my right eye.
Ok, so it's been about an hour since this first started.  My vision seems to be back to normal, but I have some pain in my right eye, kinda like headache pain, so I'm taking some Ibuprofen for that now.

My question is, what in God's name was that?  Anyone experience that?  I thought I was going blind or something, scared the **** out of me.
Thanks for your response, Doctor.  I appologize for not using the search feature, but at the time I couldn't really see properly and was very nervous that there was something very wrong.  I will see a doctor about this as soon as possible.  

Again, thanks for your help.
Ocular migraines can be very scary the first time, when you don't know what it is. I thought I was having a stroke!

Perhaps the eye pain you had following the aura was part of the migraine, although you can certainly get painless migraines.

Be sure to get examined by an ophthalmologist. I saw my regular doctor the day I had my first ocular migraine, and she referred me to an ophthalmologist just to make sure nothing else was going on.

Nancy T.