Eye Care Expert Forum
Weird feeling in eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Weird feeling in eye

I have been experiencing weird feelings in my left eye for a month or so. Here are some symptoms I'm experiencing, as best as I can describe them:
- weird feeling in my left eye, on the side of the nose and down.
- light flashes on the opposite side (ie; towards the ear side) that spirals up or down. Seems to be occuring quite often.
- eye twitches. Seems to happen only once in a while.
(I'm not sure if these symptoms are all related, but since they are all happening in my left eye, I have to assume it must be)

I went to my Optometrist to get an optomap/eye examination, and was told that my left eye is healthy. A retina specialist also said the same thing when I went for an assessment.

Are the symptoms pointing to anything? I need a little help figuring out what diagnosis I should be seeking.

Thanks.
I would concentrate the workup on the flashes of light that could possibly be explained by a posterior vitreous detachment, retinal detachment, vitritis or pars planitis among other things.  If these things are not seen, then it may not be able to be explained but you would have the peace of mind that there were no serious eye diseases.  Regarding the weird feeling - I don't really have much to offer than to make sure your eyes are healthy and take what you have.  Look for the good in all of this - that is that hopefully you have healthy eyes without an eye disease like macular degeneration, glaucoma, diabetic retinopathy, etc.

MJK MD
The thing I am most worry about is that the weird feeling in my eye is cause by something growing in the middle layer/outside of the eye, like a tumor or something like that. Am I worrying too much, or is it really a possibility?