Eye Care Community
Weiss ring - permanent?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Weiss ring - permanent?

I have developed a ring-shaped floater in my right eye, which my research indicated could be a Weiss ring. I saw an opthamologist two weeks ago; he could detect no signs of retinal tearing and told me it could be a sign of vitreous detachment, but he couldn't be certain. Apparently it normally occurs in people about twice my age; I'm 38.

In the time since that visit, the ring has gotten a little larger and darker - I can no longer read if I cover my left eye, though my distance vision is not seriously impacted.

In one post I found on this forum, there is an assertion that these rings go away after a few months, but from what I have read elsewhere, it seems that it may not. Does this depend on whether there is actual vitreous detachment or if it is due to something else?

I've read about vitrectomy, and it seems nobody will perform the surgery unless there is actual retina damage. Sure, there are risks, and I understand the reluctance. I'm not seeing flashes or experiencing any further occlusion, so it seems I have no treatment options.

At the moment, I feel completely adrift and somewhat depressed over the deterioration of my ability to read, not to mention the possiblity that this thing may be part of my life for decades to come.

Can anyone tell me what I might expect in the months and years ahead, or suggest a test that could at least tell me the cause of the problem?
I am 60 and in recovery(4 to 10 weeks) from a vitrectomy for a detached retina. I used to be very active, now it's minimal during recovery. ( can't drive etc.) Surgeons (mine) don't want to perform it if you "just" have floaters because of the other complications including glaucoma, cataracts...all which I already have. Because the vitreous is not entirely removed (up to the retina) there is no gurantee you'll get rid of  all floaters. You may be swapping one for another. I started getting floaters in my 50's. As frustrating as it is a vitrectomy is no cure. I have a "string" floater that affects my reading in my other eye, and I would never have another vitrectomy just for that. I am waiting for a detachment in that as well. There may be future hope in
emzyme treatment for the vitreous. Till then, best of luck and try to ajust. The alternative is not here yet.
Hi Zelmo; I wanted to know how would enzymes get rid of floaters?  Are there any out now that might work?  I would love that as I have a weiss ring too.  So you don't advise getting a vitrectomy?  I did get one laser treatment for my floaters; one is gone and I did have a cataract developing so i had to get surgery; now i have to wait for my next laser treatment to get that again.  I noticed a difference this summer when I got the first laser.  I did get PVD too and my flashes are settling down a lot more; dont see as many.  My floaters are too.  Have you personally experienced a weiss ring and it went away?  Thanks Zelmo.  I am asking people going through this as well.  I hope your situation keeps getting better.  I wish we could wave a magic wand like Cinderella and wish all of these problems away.  Glad that you have your vision too.  I hate these floaters.  Barb.
HI:  I know how you feel hope your weiss ring goes away.  I have one that I have to wake up to every morning in my left eye.  Let me know too how this develops.  I wish we could get rid of these ugly things.  Barb.
Do you take any allergy medicines?  I have a friend who has a Weiss ring and it was diagnosed as brought on by allergy medicines. My own ring reappeared just recently.  I also started taking Zyrtec just recently. I am cutting the medicine and waiting to see what happens.
-
I just had cataract surgery, four weeks ago on one eye and two weeks ago for the other, and I woke up two days ago with a Weiss Ring in the eye which had the latest surgery.  I googled the description of the floater, and that is how I know what it is.  I did go to the dr, then, and he examined, saw the piece of vitreous gel in my eye which must have been jiggled off either due to debris flying into my eye somehow, dust maybe, or he said the operation may have disturbed it, or perhaps I did already have it and I couldn't see it due to the cataract. Honestly, I am 64 and thank God I am pretty healothy. He said most people will have one of these by age 80, around 80 per cent of people he said.  It happens. In any case, he thinks it will go away within a week or maybe I just won't notice it much.  It could take up to a year, or I could do lasik and break it up that way. I wonder if yours is still there or if you woke up one day and it was gone.  Take care and good luck. Rose
This is Dr. Hagan. I am in my 60's and have do not have cataracts. I have a Weiss Ring in my right eye. I noticed it while at a meeting in St. Louis. A weiss ring is where the Weiss ligament (shaped like a cheerio cereal) attaches the vitreous to the optic nerve in the young eye. During a PVD when the vitreous cleaves it off it creates a floater that is bigger than the others. Sort of like a redwood tree in a pine forest.  It is not a sign of disease. Most people like me learn to tune it out and not see it.

JCH MD
Hi Dr. Hagan,
Just curious, it's been two years since you experienced a PVD with Weiss Ring. How is it going? Do you still have it present in your vision. I have had an onslaught of eye probs, CRVO, Glaucoma, Cataract, persistent Macular edema. I am 38 yrs old.I have had a PVD since June, and I was wondering if yours has dissolved? Trying to decide if it is worth vitrectomy to get rid of it.

Thank you for your response.
A Weiss Ring does not dissolve, it's a permanent and normal part of the eye. It only becomes visible when it puts away with a posterior vitreous detachment.

Mine is still there. I can see it anytime I look for it. As I have said for most people the brain "tunes them out" (neuroadaptation) and 98% of the time I don't see mine.

Sorry about the inconsistent answers recently. Some times the "experts" can log on and some times we can't

JCHMD
I had a pvd 8 months ago and have a weiss ring in my left eye.  My right eye is amblyopic and I wondered if this may be why I'm having more difficulty ignoring the large floater in my good eye?  I also have astigmitism.  Many times throughout the day I get a film across my vision as the floater swings across my central vision.  The floater always returns to the same spot to the side of my central vision.  Will its location change over time?  I am hopeful that eventually I will be able to ignore it but it will just take longer due to my dependence on that eye.  I realize that I'm going to have to learn to live with this but some positive reinforcement would be appreciated.  Thanks!
I've had a Weiss Ring in my right eye for about 1 years and three months.  In the beginning it was a huge distraction - highly visible black horseshoe shaped floater with a long tail.  Rapid movement of the ring occurred especially with changes in focus -- for example when driving and looking in the rear view mirror and then back to the front, the Weiss Ring would slam back and forth within the eye.   Over time, it has reduced its darkness and is only slightly visible even in sunlight today.  The original optic flashes were very present and those too have gone away.  I have just recently had the opportunity to have an occurrence of the Weiss ring in my left eye (last three days).  Same MO, very dark horse shoe shaped floater with a tail, bright flashes etc.  I just want to ensure there is no retinal tear..otherwise, I am hoping for a similar result over time.