What are the effects of altitude on gas bubble in eye?
My husband had a vitrectomy with gas bubble inserted in his eye.  It has been about 2.5 months since his surgery.  He went to a meeting today and went into a higher altitude.  Now he can not see anything but black when sittin upright.  Is this something serious, or will it go away once he adjusts to the altitude?
Call his doctor ASAP! You should have cleared this with the doctor prior to doing any sort of traveling.
High altitude travel is prohibited because it will cause the gas to expand and can cause increased IOP (intraocular pressure) which will lead to optic nerve damage, especially in the first few days/weeks following surgery.
At 2.5 months post-op, I would expect that most of a C3F8 gas to have been reabsorbed, but there may have still been a few bubbles left which could have expanded. And if he is able to see in another position, usually facedown, than gas expansion could be a likely explanation for his symptoms. If SF6 was used it should have all been absorbed, so gas expansion would not likely be the problem.
Either way, he needs to be examined by an ophthalmologist!
-