Eye Care Community
What causes dark ring around outside of iris?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

I noticed my younger brother who received chemo to treat a sarcoma developed a dark ring around the outside of his blue iris.  Then, after I myself had surgery to remove a papillary tumor had dark rings develop around the rim of my own lighter brown/hazel iris.  Can you tell me what causes this?

This discussion is related to Blue ring around the iris of the eye.
Search the term "corneal arcus" and then google it.

JCH III MD
Thank you!  That makes sense for my bro because all he could "stomach" during treatment was high-fat Mexican food!  As for me, I guess no more bacon-wrapped Filet Mignon!
Thanks again.
Just found picture of Kayser-Fleischer Ring here:   http://www.milesresearch.com/main/eyesigns.asp#kayser-fleischerring
And, that sure looks exactly like what's going on.  Also, the explanation is intriguing because it mentions "prolonged cholestasis" as a possible cause and we've both had gall stones in the CBD!  So, I've printed that out to take to my gastro...

I hope not. Wilson's disease is rare and I have seen a K-F ring only once in practice. Of course if you have it then its something you want to know. Hopefully its the much more common arcus
JCH III MD