Eye Care Expert Forum
What causes sharp stabbing pain in one eye from bright light?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I just had a small clear fluid filled cyst drained on the white of my left eye last week. Well the doctor hit a blood vessel which has caused a blood filled cyst now. I called her and she said this was normal because she hit a blood vessel. Im not worried about that now,
What Im worred about is bright light causes a stabbing pain in the my eye. It's like a throbbing pain for a few seconds and then goes away when my eye gets adjusted to the light.Is this normal after having a cyct drained on your conjunctiva (white of eye)? What causes the pain?
  I'am putting eye antibotic drops in 4 times a day for 5 days, that the eye doctor gave me.
Just a thought, the antibiotic drop can sometimes cause ocular irritation.  Also you may have some local inflammation. Hopefully it is getting better.  Try using artificial tears every few hours and call your doctor if the problem persists.  It is almost impossible to lance of these cysts without hitting a tiny vessel.  One final note - these conjuctival cysts love to come back because a small puncture will often heal up and the cyst reforms.  Sometimes a larger cut or excision needs to be done for permanant resolution (if this cyst returns.)

Michael Kutryb, MD
Thank you for the information, it is getting better now and the pain from light has gone away. The cyst did come back but my eye feels alot better.