Eye Care Community
What kind of vision problems occur if the pupil is larger than the IOL ...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

What kind of vision problems occur if the pupil is larger than the IOL implant?

I have read that there can be problems if the pupil is larger than the IOL implant. I heard most IOL's are 6 - 6.5 mm. What kind of vision problems are there, for example, if the pupil dilates at night and is larger than the IOL? Are there Halos or Starbursts? Do you see the edge of the lens?

Thanks.
Most IOLs are 5.5 to 6.0 to 6.5 mm

The pupil would really have to be big to create a problem. Very few pupil have pupils that big. Most problems with halos and starbursts are due to IOL decentration, or dysphotopsia from the IOL which in turn is much more common in the accommodating/refractive "premium" IOLs

JCH MD
I see,
So if the pupil were 7 mm, there would be no problem? What about seeing the edge of the lens? I have heard of that phenomenon before.
7 mm is a huge pupil and very few people have that big of pupil even in pitch dark, this is especially true as we age. Biggest pupils are found in teenagers. pupils are very small in infants and in the very old.

Pupil size is more imporant in lasik than cataract surgery.

Worse case is that alphagan P can be used at night to keep the pupil from getting fully dilated.

JCH MD