Eye Care Expert Forum
What lens to implant

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

What lens to implant
I am a 59 year old female, with my second cataract. I have used slight mono vision with contacts over the last 15 years 1D difference.  The has allowed me computer vision and some reading. My left eye got a cataract 10 years ago and I had a IOL mono focal  implant, before the multifocal lens was available. My eyes were both about a -7 D. My left eye was corrected to a 3.0, now at a 3.5D. The idea was that I would not be imbalanced with out glasses after the surgery. I am not imbalanced, but of course I have been unable to have glasses over the last 10 years due to the diopter difference. Now, I need to address the other eye.

I hear crystal lens has it's draw backs due to halos and that I would be more at risk given the level of myopia. The lens could shift. However it does sound appealing.

So, here are my questions:

How great is this risk to go with the crystal lens given by mopia?
Can I achieve the results I want with going with the standard IOL?  

I am thinking that if I do not go with the Crystal lens to ask for a .5 D lens, lasik my left eye to  1.5D, then use glasses for distance.  However I would really like to get it all with the crystal lens, but not sure if this is possible. My tolerance is about 1 D.

Any help you could provide would be most appreciated.
There are a number of options. Is your right eye dominant? The dominant eye is typically the one that needs good uncorrected distance vision. So the right eye could have a monofocal IOL for distance or -0.25 D and then lasik the left eye for -1D or -1.25 D. This is what I call Blended Vision and it has become very popular in my clinic. Also, your right eye could still get a crystalens targeted for the same.

Best Wishes,
Timothy D. McGarity, M.D. Ophthalmologist