Eye Care Community
Which lens?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Which lens?

Which lens after cat. surgery?
Thanks,
Joe

This discussion is related to ReZoom Lens.
It depends.  Probably an aspheric monofocal lens.  (See the patient info video at www tecnisiol com--dots omitted to evade censor.)  If you have significant astigmatism, maybe Alcon's toric lens.  Definitely not the ReZoom.
We use Tecnis aspheric monofocal IOLs with very good results and happy patients.

JCH III MD
much of the decision is based on what kind of eyesight you have now, what results to aim for after surgery, and to some extent what lens your surgeon has the most experience and expertise with - there is not one solution which is right for everyone
----
I tried the monofocul contact lens, but had very little success with the near and far.  It leads me to believe it would be the same with monofocul.  I do pretty well with the progressive glasses, which is why I thought ReZoom would be best for me.  Any help is appreciated.  I do not have astigmatism.

Joe
If you get a ReZoom and end up as unhappy as scores and scores of patients that have posted here don't say you weren't warned.

JCH III MD
Unfortunately, ReZoom doesn't work the way progressive glasses do.  This IOL is associated with numerous problems, including halos, glare, ghosting, "waxy" vision, and poor intermediate/near vision.  Many people with ReZoom are unable to drive at night.  Read through the archives of this site to find out more about these problems.  Although ReStor and Crystalens are hardly problem-free, they have a better track record than ReZoom.  If you really want a multifocal lens and can postpone cataract surgery for awhile, there will be better IOLs available in the future.

-
Is there any info. on how long it will be before better IOLs will be available?  This has really been a confusing experience for me; thanks for your help.
Unfortunately, there's no knowing when FDA approval will come.  There are IOLs (like the Tetraflex and the Tecnis multifocal) available in other countries but not in the USA.  I read that there's a new version of the Crystalens with improved near vision capacity soon to be introduced.

I don't want to misquote, but I believe that Dr. Hagan said elsewhere on this forum that current multifocal lens technology cannot meet patients' expectations.  If you need cataract surgery today, probably your best bet for a problem-free outcome would be aspheric monofocal lenses set for "blended vision."  You'd probably be able to function without glasses most of the time.  I don't think that any of the available multifocal/accommodating IOLs can promise more than this, and they all involve a much higher incidence of post-surgery problems and complications.
I feel I'd like to weigh in on this topic.  I just this week had my 2nd cataract surgery and had a Toric lens implanted.  I was a mess between the two surgeries and very leery about what to do.  I asked many questions to the doctors, patients, friends, relatives, and right here on this site.  I felt very worried about what would happen in the end.  BUT, today is a new day and I can see 20/20 in both my eyes and I'm praising God and the doctors for making the right decision with me.  I sure didn't think I'd say that so I'm eating "crow" now.  I have to wear reading glasses and that's not bad.  My surgery surpassed the doctor's expectations, but he's not the ultimate healer in my life.  I know that the many prayers and professional expertise combined to make a wonderful success.  Thank you to all who helped me here and jbarcelona, have faith and know what your doctor's rating is.  Check him/her out and ask many questions and people how they've done with this surgery.  I wish you well.  Judy
Congratulations on your excellent outcome.  Glad to know that you're so pleased.